Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For those of you that have tried many new detectors......Rate the depth of these...

Digitalmoto

If you can.....
List these detectors in order of most depth to least, operating on a no Blacksand freshwater beach.

1--- White's DFX
2--- Minelab Xterr 70
3--- Tesoro Cortes
4--- Fisher F75
5--- Garret GTI 2500
6--- Minelab Explorer SE
7--- Minelab Quattro

(edit) added Quattro.

OK, Mo, if no one else will, I'll play.
I've owned the X-terra 70, Cortes, and currently the F75. In the soil here in my neck of the woods, I've gotten the best depth from the F75. Detectors are just tools, however, and as such, an experience user can usually get the same or better results out of a a lesser machine, than will a novice out of a high end one. Of course, soil conditions also are a huge factor. I'm guessing these reasons are why so few are willing to jump into this fray. I swear that years ago, my old Garrett ADS got as good or better depth than most of the coin machines available today. Of course, it had a lot less of the bells & whistles. These newer machines earn their money in target ID, depth indication, ease of ground balancing, etc. And they weigh a whole lot less than the older machines, which is really important, if you plan to hunt for more than an hour or so. Can't count all the times I came home with my arm feeling like it was about to fall off, after a couple of hours of detecting.
Just one guy's opinion.
HH,
Dave

That leaves a lot of very good machines out of the picture that perform well on gold jewelry. Better yet, get out in the water, thats where most of the yellow stuff is! :thumbup:

On my low mineral fresh water beaches multi freq machines don't seem to have any advantage over the single freg VLF's,

No depth comparisions from me but, of what you have listed I would use the X70 or F75 above the others. Weight (fatigue) and sweep speed are big considerations for beach hunting. Ultimate depth isn't everything.

JMHO

Tom

For me, raw depth alone is one of the poorest ways to rate a detector. Much more important (to me)is to have a quick response/retune, good discrimination, all metal mode available, reasonable weight, good handling characteristics and a good selection of accessory coils. All the detectors you list have decent or better depth and seem to be popular across the forums. If you're thinking of buying, I'd suggest that you try to get a "hands on" feel for those that most interest you and make your choice by your impressions that way. My two bits.
HH
BB