Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For some reason this popped in my head and I have no clue the answer

Royal

do ants sleep?

Now that is not a trick question at all. I have always been interested in nature and the little guys. I have watched every dang documentary that I have found on the natural world and I never have seen that subject brought up. Do they sleep. I have never seen a sleeping ant. Never heard it mentioned in the documentarys.

Dumb question but .......:shrug:

need rest, so maybe they just slow down and veg out a little like spaced out?:D Oh, I don't know either...

n/t

"Workers fell asleep at irregular intervals, and not at the same time. But the sheer number
of incredibly short naps they took was striking. On average, a single worker ant would take
250 naps each day, with each one lasting just over a minute. That equates to 4 hours and 48 minutes of sleep a day.
That also meant that 80 per cent of the workforce was awake and active at any one time.
"The large number and short naps by workers means that jobs in the nest never go unattended,"
says Cassill. "There is always a worker available when the need arises. When work is slow, workers sleep more."
Equally striking was the contrast between the sleeping habits of the workers and of the queens they served.

The queens fell asleep at far more regular intervals than their subjects. In fact, the queens even
synchronised their naps, with all three queens dozing together. "It's very cosy," says Cassill. "The synchrony
of queens occurs because, like hound dogs, they pile atop each other when they sleep. When awake, they separate."
On average, each queen would fall asleep 90 times a day, sleeping for just over 6 minutes at a time. That equates to over
nine hours of sleep each day.

n/t

the poor worker ants work until the day they die, partly from lack of sleep. Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

n/t