Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Food for Thught ~ Your Opinion Welcomed

SeniorSeeker

I've been giving thought to buying a new 'short' spade to detect with and two things I'd like in a shovel are quallity & price. It's getting more difficult digging plugs with a hand tool. Check this one out and tell me what you think. The picture below is a Radius Garden 22311 Root Slayer Nomad, Red, and it's a short spade that would make digging a plug a whole lot easier. It's about 40+ inches long.

In my opinion, at least around here in Michigan I wouldn't use it in a public school or park. I feel people would think you're digging big holes even if you're not. Other places farm fields it would be great.
Just my thoughts.
Greg in Michigan

What Greg said was in my immediate thoughts, too! PPL will think you are digging big holes & will protest, although you aren't but just the appearance of a shovel sends them off to complain to you &/or police ! SAD! Ma

great for private land but not public. Those are the reason so many places are now closed to detecting.

That’s the best shovel I’ve ever used. It cuts the cleanest plug easily. Used mine all around town and never had anyone question me about it. Kinda use it like a cane and comes in handy as a help up off the ground. Completely understand the concern regarding using a shovel but here in Wichita Kansas I don’t get questioned about it. Possibly just been lucky but as nice and neat as it works you can’t tell I was there. Also is not big or look like an average shovel. Maybe old age has its perks?!

Thanks Everyone, for your input. Kramer, your statement is exactly why I thought of buying it. Because of arthritis I have a hard time getting up off the ground. I'm convinced this spade would cut a nice plug and save a lot on relying only on my shoulder and arm strength, which isn't what it use to be. I really don't want to give up detecting but getting up and down has become a bit of a problem. Now ... I will agree with Mike & others to think using it on 'public parks & grounds' would prove to be a problem but, in Grandville where I live, the director of our local city parks shared his concerns with me on using this device. He doesn't seem to mind, as long as I make sure the plug is put back in place and looks like I've not been there.

While reading your reply I just thought of a way to accessorize our shovel. Get one of those pull handles they sell to go on a sand scoop and mount it about halfway on the shovel. Then we’d have a even better grip to hoist ourselves up! Of course adjust to your liking. Great idea. Thanks SeniorSeeker!

The longer and bigger the tool, the more people take notice. It's not all about how good of a job we do with it, it also has to do with how the public sees it. If a man get's the ok to do a yard and starts swinging and you can't see his trowel sized digger in his pouch the owner will not likely think anything about holes. now put a medium sized shovel hanging from one had and it is easily seen. Now take a bigger or even regular shovel on his shoulder and now you may raise some eyebrows? Now go to the park that is public and do the same. Can't see the tool, no one knows you even have one. go bigger and people notice. Many say so what it's easier for me, or I don't care what people think. Those are some of the very reason many places here are now closed to detecting. 10+ years ago almost everyone used hand diggers on public land. Then a couple fellows came on the scene, made tv shows and became and overnight success. The bad thing is thousands of newbies figured all I need is a detector and a shovel like I seen on tv. They were not taught proper digging, and where to use what tools. Now most of them newbies only use shovels of all kinds everywhere they hunt. Huge holes everywhere, many are not filled in well. Now many places are closed. I'm a firm believer in educating the new comers so that the generations that follow can enjoy our wonderful hobby. We all know in this day and age where people are offended so easily, that everyone with a cell phone is just waiting to have a reason to complain about some guy tearing up the park, probably will even take a video, etc……… Hope this reply helps educate some detectorists.

I agree with you Mike, but if Bro Martin has permission & will use it wisely like I am sure he will, there shouldn't be any problem MD'ing in the area where he lives--just scoop up some trash now & then & then he can say he is cleaning the parks & etc as he also picks up bottles, cans & such--certainly wouldn't be lying with a trash bag or apron full that gets tossed into the trash barrel ever so often! I know how tiresome & how difficult it is to detect with arthritis & COPD! Good Luck, Bro Martin, & hope the goodies are plentiful! God Bless you both! :angel: Ma

Welcome Kraemer to our CMD forum--my Son-in-Law & daughter's last name is Kraemer! Yes spelled the same! God Bless & use your shovel wisely & find some nice goodies to show us -- We always like seeing what MD'ers are finding! :angel: Ma

these are just my opinions based on experience. I'm hoping to help educate folks as the years go by. Martin is a long time friend of mine, I know he is a good steward of the land.

It is very sad that we have to discuss this topic in the way we do.It is so easy to dig a neat plug and return it into the earth so that it looks like we have never been there.......unfortunately this is made more complicated by ignorant,arrogant people who only think of themselves or do not think at all.
Then we have those who complain even if they can see that a detectorist is a responsible law abiding citizen who is just enjoying their pastime.......they complain even if they cannot see where a plug has been returned to the earth.
As detectorists we always seem to fighting an uphill battle even if we do things right.The above spade looks like the perfect tool for cutting lovely neat plugs but as Mike said it will attract attention just because it is large.......where in God's name are we going,it doesn't need to be this difficult.

I have been thinking about taking a Post Hole shovel and grinding the blade down to the same size as the hand tool blade. Cheaper too if you can get the blade work done yourself or have a friend do it. If not a machine shop price check on the work or possibly a auto body shop.

Just a thought??:confused:

Hi Neil good to see you are with us again! Always miss our family who go AWOL on us like many in the past have done! But new members are welcome, too, while missing the ones who left us long ago! :angel: Ma

Thanks Mike, I do agree with you. Many years ago, the director of Kent County Parks closed several of our parks to detecting becasue someone was using a regular shovel to dig holes but wasn't putting the plugs back properly. So I volunteered to hold classes, at one of the parks to show people how to dig a plug. I thought there's be a good turn out being that the county advertised it but not a sole turned. None the less I showed the director how I dug a plug in different kinds of ground and he liked it and reopened some of the parks to detecting. That all said, I fully agree with you Mike, in that people conger up all sorts of crazy ideas when they see oneone with a shovel related to metal detecting. I connected with the parks director here, in Grandville, and he didn't mind as long as I put the plug back, in the ground, and lett it looking like I hadn't been there. I told him that I'd do that and do what I could to help leave the parks, in better condition, than when I arrived. He liked that. We'll see coming spring.

I would have to agree with Mike on this one. He made some good points.