Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Florida Metal Detecting Laws.....

MrPirate

From what I was told by a buddy in the Fl. Marine Patrol this is the and has been the current law. You may search any public beach with the exception of those areas titled as prohibited "dunes from Vero to Fort Pierce for example or historic areas". You are allowed to search the beach from the high tide mark to the current water line or water's edge. You are not supposed to be "IN" the water even ankle deep. So better to hunt at low tide. You are not allowed to have a metal detector in the water unless you are on a leased location and have written permission or a lease.period no exceptions!

I have always found when confronted by the law even a lifeguard who usually work for the city it is best to agree with them and move on down the beach. Arguing will only piss them off more and they will go out of their way to impose upon you even if they see you 1/4 mile down the beach.

I have never had a problem searching on any beach as long as I am courteous and sometimes I will say that I checked with the city and was cleared to search the beach as long as I knw I am in the right. Sometimes it shows that you respect their position and authority but that maybe you talked with someone of higher authority and you do know the rules.

Anyway just my little bit of inpu on the subject.

Smooth seas to all
MrPirate

No where in the state of Florida are you allowed to hunt the dunes because of the Sea Oates. They are the tall grasses that help hold the dunes together and prevent erosion. Unless you are in an area leased to one of the treasure salvaging co. it is ok to hunt in the water as deep as you want to go. In some State Parks, such as Ft. Desoto Park in St. Petersburg, for a $1.00 you can get an annual permit to hunt the water from high tide to Mexico if you like, just stay out of the picnic areas and the Ft. Site itself. All they want to know is who you are and how to get in touch with you if they need to. Getting back to the leased areas, you are still allowed to hunt the beaches from the dunes to about ankle deep in the surf. If you get into the water in a leased area, you are asking for trouble and will get it.

therick

the Rick,
Do you know how to go about finding if an area is leased or not?I'll be in Jensen Beach in Oct.,and definately don't wanna run into trouble.Will also be going northward to a place called "Bathtub Beach"Thanks,HH

Kirk

I have 2 or 3 books dedicated to the history of the sites, Maps showing where they lie and how far off shore they are. One set of maps even give Longitude and Latitude and GPS coordinates. Do a search on the internet about the 1715 Plate Fleet, or Mel Fisher and I'm sure you'll get all of the information you'll need. I still look the sites over every now and then to see what may have changed and nothing out of the ordinary as of late. These sites are well published as they are also recognized as beach dive sites. In other words, you don't need a boat to get there, just strap on your tanks and head to deep water. Some wrecks are as close as 100 feet off of the beach. It's legal to dive them, just don't remove anything. Some diving websites will have information about the wrecks as well. Hope this helps ya and good luck. Go find the big one.

therick

Not all state parks are open to metal detecting but a few of them are. Any public beach should be ok unless there's some sort of screwball local law against it. I hunt St.Pete beach, Clearwater Beach all of the time with no problems. I am a water hunter also, preferring to be in waist to neck deep water. Ft. Desoto park is a state park and detecting is permitted as long as you stop by the Rangers Station and buy a permit. Usually just a couple of bucks and it's good for a year. The only rules are high water mark to deep water. No Fort hunting and no picnic areas or sand dunes. Pretty simple.

therick

you are confusing the Mclarty Museum on the coast which is state owned and the Mel Fisher museum in Sebastian which is owned by the Fisher family.