Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fixing jewelry

steve in so la

Here's some ideas to think about this winter to keep your hand in the detecting game. Some of the jewelry pieces we dig are beaten up but can be fixed. Especially helpful is a "lapidary store" in your town that carries items to use in fix ups.

1110gold.jpg

For instance - this bracelet has a stone that can be replaced easily if desired. Take a small knife like an exacto and pry up the points holding the stone in. Most jewelry pieces with set in stones are like this. Go to the lapidary house or maybe a jewelry store and pick out the stone to put in. After installing the stone then pry the points back down & buff it all.

Here are some other ideas to consider.

6diamondpearl.jpg

When I dug this one the pearl was all roached out. But a trip to the jewelry store resulted in an inexpensive replacement that looked great. All the stones are diamonds.

Lastly, here's a different kind of stone holder - a thicker one that's harder to bend out for a new stone. Just a little patience will do the trick.

5sapphirediamonds.jpg

So maybe go over your dug rings & things and maybe put new stones in. Steve in so la

I would like to take a silversmith class someday.

Great Suggestions Steve. There's so much I still need to learn (even after nearly 20 years of hunting). Compared to Mike and yourself, I feel like a beginner.