Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Five monkeys

Justme

An experimenter puts 5 monkeys in a large cage. High up at the top of the cage, well beyond the reach of the monkeys, is a bunch of bananas. Underneath the bananas is a ladder.

The monkeys immediately spot the bananas and one begins to climb the ladder. As he does, however, the experimenter sprays him with a stream of cold water. Then, he proceeds to spray each of the other monkeys.

The monkey on the ladder scrambles off. And all 5 sit for a time on the floor, wet, cold, and bewildered. Soon, though, the temptation of the bananas is too great, and another monkey begins to climb the ladder. Again, the experimenter sprays the ambitious monkey with cold water and all the other monkeys as well. When a third monkey tries to climb the ladder, the other monkeys, wanting to avoid the cold spray, pull him off the ladder and beat him.

Now one monkey is removed and a new monkey is introduced to the cage. Spotting the bananas, he naively begins to climb the ladder. The other monkeys pull him off and beat him.

Here’s where it gets interesting. The experimenter removes a second one of the original monkeys from the cage and replaces him with a new monkey. Again, the new monkey begins to climb the ladder and, again, the other monkeys pull him off and beat him – including the monkey who had never been sprayed. Monkeys at work

A modern version of the experiment
A modern version of the experiment

By the end of the experiment, none of the original monkeys were left and yet, despite none of them ever experiencing the cold, wet, spray, they had all learned never to try and go for the bananas.

The metaphor and the lessons that apply to work are clear. Despite the exhortations from management to be innovative and collaborative, cold water is poured on people and their ideas whenever someone tries something new. Or, perhaps worse, the other employees suppress innovation, and learned helplessness spreads throughout the firm. Seems to be the same with religion and practices today. Many do not research what they believe

Interesting story. Despite the 'cold water' of ridicule, I would continue to reach for my goal whatever that may be. All my life I've had people tell me certain things were impossible but I had to find out, for myself, if indeed they were impossible. So I continued to climb 'my' ladder of trial and success. Of all the 'ladders' I've climbed, the one that has given me the most gratification is getting to know the Lord and building a relationship with Him.

Human beings are created in God's own image and He gave us brains to think for ourselves and when saved God's Holy Spirit gives us the desire to search the Scriptures for ourselves and not take anyone else's words or beliefs for fact without checking them out in the Holy Word of God, including yours! Also, we are not animals including monkeys which I will say many do act like them and especially Liberals and Democrats and those led by the nose by a dictatorial government! God's thoughts are higher than ours, but ours is higher than animals or should be....but too many act worse than animals do when it comes to society and their own families and children; so these do need to know God by accepting His only, begotten and beloved Son, Jesus! :angel: Ma

Missouri--Ma Betty said:
Human beings are created in God's own image and He gave us brains to think for ourselves and when saved God's Holy Spirit gives us the desire to search the Scriptures for ourselves and not take anyone else's words or beliefs for fact without checking them out in the Holy Word of God, including yours! Also, we are not animals including monkeys which I will say many do act like them and especially Liberals and Democrats and those led by the nose by a dictatorial government! God's thoughts are higher than ours, but ours is higher than animals or should be....but too many act worse than animals do when it comes to society and their own families and children; so these do need to know God by accepting His only, begotten and beloved Son, Jesus! :angel: Ma

"but too many act worse than animals do when it comes to society and their own families and children".
Well Ma you got that right,society is collapsing at an alarming rate,thats for sure.