Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

five dollar gold button

celtex

I found a button that has a 1911 five dollar gold coin with a screw in base. Don't think it a real coin made into a button but it sure looks good! LOL Anyone hear of such an item. The eagle in the face of the button and the Indian head and date are the back of the button with a small gold toned female screw shaft attacked to Indian Head. It has been pressed into an concave shape. Real heart attach find I tell you!

It would put a big hole in something so I don't think it is a hat pin or tie tack, I would guess it is a bridle rosette.

Now that is totally different...Woner if it off some American Eagle Outfitters product?

With the threaded boss attached to the Indian head side it looks like a drawer or cabinet knob/pull.
HH
Scott

I think you are on to something there Scott. :cool:

Wonder what it was before it was altered. It wouldn't have had the unseen backside decorated if it was made that way to start. What kind of ID did you have on your machine when you found it?

I believe you have a five dollar gold coin that has been converted into a concho for a belt or a hatband. What a find!

Get it tested VDI sounds like you may have yourself some gold. Good Luck with your nice find. Keep us posted. HH :minelab:

Drawer or cabinet pull. A good clue is if it is fine threads. Cabinet hardware is almost always fine thread. I'll bet if you went to a hardware store the bolts on modern hardware would fit. srf2112 nailed it IMO.

The image on the back makes no sense for a cabinet pull though....But having seen fake buffalo nic drawer pulls I am leaning that direction.

I hope for your sake I am wrong and you got yourself a special treat.

Keep us posted.

I saw at a local antique dealer just a couple of days ago a $1.00 "gold coin" button. The button was old and one sided but was brass. The dealer wanted gold coin value for it.

I have never seen that was two sided though. Cool piece.

Doug

Maybe they were two sided and manufactured both ways. I can't tell from the pic if it is raised or engraved. Looks engraved. Looks like a cabinet pull.

http://www.bedecked.com/bedeckedhardware.htm

http://www.ecrater.com/p/1325732/three-real-coin-buttons1-with-a-indian

I'm crossing my fingers for ya! :thumbup: Take it to a jeweler, pawn shop, or anyplace that buys gold and see if it's the real deal.

Smitty

I'd bet that its the genuine article. Someone has made the gold coin into a fastener of some sort....maybe hat band or horse tack decorations...maybe even a ladies shoe top decoration?? I could also be a cabinet pull as has been suggested, but if it is, I would have to guess the cabinet was made from solid amber or jadite.....:clapping: