Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher F2 or F70 for 500 abandoned virgin homes with 1000s of acres in between

imi_wakaranai

The detector is the limit, so it seems...

My situation: I work for the US Military overseas. Recently on one of the bases they evacuated about 500 individual households to make way for other projects: large housing towers that can accomodate more families to make greater use of the scarce land. These houses were built in the early 1950s after WWII. There are literally empty neighborhoods without restrictions, each of which of the houses has a nice front/back yard.

In the past, I have detected with a ML Ex II as well as with a Fisher CZ-20, both of which were used for 99% of beach operations where I live. I found my share of clad, gold, and silver, so this is really not an interest of mine. I am after silver, and I am certain that these 50's housing complexes have their share. In fact, one of my MD buddies a few years back used to pull silver from these sites before the housing complexes were abandonded. There are some MDist here, but most of them spend their time on the beaches, as we have dozens of white sandy beaches where tourists come and lose jewelery/clad everyday.

About 3 years ago I sold my detectors, as I lost my interest in MDing. Truth told, I probably would have kept detecting had I access to these areas on base. At that time, I didn't work for the US military, so I couldn't get on base to detect.

I was really interested in the Fisher F2, as this seems like a coin-eating machine, but I am worried that it won't pick up the silver from the 50s & 60s. Most report that it is only good to 4-5 inches, and I have never hunted silver which can often be found at deeper depths.

Then I started looking at the F70. I can afford it, but I wonder if the F2 can find most of the targets?? I am fairly certain, knowing the population after living here for 2 decades that not much detecting has been on these bases, so they should be fairly ripe.

The F5 was a candidate too, but I'd rather spend the extra dough on the F70 if I must.

As for the 1000s of acres of fields, they are here, and are even mowed weekly. This land mainly consists of old land that separates the base fence line and the local town as well as the dozens of ball fields where servicemembers have exercised daily. Half of me tells me that the F2 will pull a killing, but I hate the after-thought of what if chose the F70.

I am leaning towards the Fisher F-series, as I really scored well with the CZ-20 and am not so interested in other detectors.

What do I do? Please help.

The F2 will certainly get deeper than the 4-5 inches you have been told, and it will hit silver as good as the next machine. With the houses being built in the 50's, nothing should be really that deep, so the F2 would certainly hit most of the targets there easily. You could also get the 11" DD coil for the F2, and add even more depth. The F70 is a deeper machine, and if you add the 11" DD coil to it, even deeper yet. It boils down to how much you want to spend. Both machines will work great for this site. Maybe get the F2 and with the money you save get the bigger coil and a good Pin Pointer.
Scully

From my experience, testing them side by side, the Garret Ace 250 is deeper/better on silver than the F2. My F2 was really hot on nickels and gold rings, but the Ace would eat it's lunch on silver, consistently an inch or more deaper on good ID's. I sold off both of those machines after I got my F70 though. The 70 is just deeper with better target ID. I was amazed how well it picked clad and silver out of aluminum trash when I first got it. F70 is definitely a big step up if you don't mind the price, but the Ace 250 is no slouch on silver to about 5-6", especially at its price point.

Take a look at the Omega 8000 before you buy anything.

I've had the good fortune of hunting a naval housing development that was demolished back in the 80's. I actually didn't start hunting it until about four years ago when I retired and have pulled over 400 silver coins from it since. Most, with an F 75 that I got in early 07 and a few more with the F 75 LTD that I got earlier this year. While I found that most of the coins were in the 4-6" depth range, more then a few were deeper. A detector with some extra depth can be a plus on these kind of sites as with bull dozing, leveling and such, coins do get deeper. Plus, the F 70 and F 75 are terrific for sifting through the trash. And these kinds of sites are extremely trashy. My two cents, for what that is worth today. HH jim tn

You will get a lot of advice on this question, as everybody has there own like's and dislike's. I have the F2 and like it just fine for coin hunting, I also have a Garrett GTI 2500 that I like also. It just depends what you like and can afford. Saying all this to get to my point and that is what ever you buy, just use it and learn all you can about it and you will find a lot . This I know-- The more you learn about your detector the better you will be with it, and the more you will find.:super:

Thanks everyone for the replies, and I appreciate people's opinions and suggestions about trying other machines; however, I am pretty set on Fisher because of my experience with the CZ20. For what it's worth, the houses are still standing. None have been demolished. I'm sure there nails in the yards from the construction of the houses, but the yards should be pretty clean.

You are probably right about the nails, but unless your military families were neater then the Navy families of the site I hunted, (and still am) you will find a ton of tabs, screw caps, bottle caps, foil and can slaw, among some other trash items. Good luck with the site. It could be silver and clad coin and jewelry bonanza. HH jim tn

I agree with bh landstar about looking at the teknetics Omega 8000 which is also made by the same company all the fisher line is and thats First Texas Products, this detector is one of Dave johnson, lead enginneer at first texas products personal favorites that alone tells you something good about this detector plus all the possitive remarks from Monte on these forums.The Omega can also be bought with the three coil combo that comes with the std. 10 inch elliptical concentric coil plus the 5 inch dd coil and the famous 11 inch dd coil so with this pkg your good to go about anywhere you wish to hunt and its been a fantastic detector for me so far exceeding anything i have used in the past.its very light weight and for coin hunting has four tones to choose from plus notching ability and very easy to ground balance for any soil ytpe you may encounter.I think any of the Fisher models will do you very well but this new Omega thats out is taking the industry by storm..Good luck and have fun...Markmac

I firmly believe that the importance of a good site trumps the importance of a good detector.

I'll bet you'll do well no matter what detector you use.

The two Fisher detectors I have now are my favorites to this point. Both Fisher and Teknetics are First Texas products so you might not want to rule Teknetics out. Made, designed and marketed by the same people with the same 5 year warranty.

Imi, it sounds like you've got a detecting goldmine. Actually a silver and wheat mine...:lol:

If you know where the upcoming projects are going to start, I'd suggest hitting that area first to extend your window of opportunity.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you buy and what you find!:thumbup:

I agree with the Omega 8000 recommendations. Get the pro package (or whatever their call it now) that comes with the 11" DD, 10" concentric and 5" DD (for about the same price as the F70) and you'll be set to find anything there, trash or not, deep or shallow. The Omega is made by First Texas who also makes the Fisher F70. I had the F70 for over a year, put a TON of hours on it, and I like my Omega a LOT better (much more stable, deeper, easier to use).

Whatever you buy, be sure to post pics of the piles of silver you find for us to see :thumbup:

How about the Omega, or new T2 or LTD go with the best get a 5DD and the 11DD and take your time and enjoy it it should last you years if you dig it all for relics....

I know a lot of folks love there Omegas but in my ground here in North Carolina the F-70 absolutely spanked the Omega. The Omega is built a little better but the F-70 finds deeper coins. The Omega would not ground balance at a lot of places I hunt and the F-70 had no problems. I know each site is different but the F-70 has capabilities that the Omega does'nt have. On the Omega you can't adjust the gain and threshold separately which will cause signals to sound smaller than they actually are, but the F-70 can adjust both which allows the operator to set both to properly size a target by sound even at depth. The F-70 is a great choice. All of that being said the Delta 4000 is a nice detector and has better tones at depth than the Omega. I've found silver in places that my Minelab SE Pro found zilch because of its slow signal processing. I no longer have the Minelab but I do have the F-70, Delta 4000, T-2, Coinstrike and the Fisher 1270. With my F-70 set at threshold +9 and sensitivity of 10 I've pulled coins from 10 inches deep so it has plenty of power. Also the Delta I have air tests a quarter at over 14 inches in disc mode. It may just be a hot unit but its hard to beat at any price range plus it offers notching capabilities and all the new Fisher and Teknetics machines are super light and a joy to swing all day.

Landstar, if I end up paying $800 for the Omega 8000 pro package, then you are going to have some explaining to my wife. Thanks to you and a few others on the board I have been researching this machine over the past 24 hours. It seems like a great machine. I like the nifty ground balance feature & it seems so simple to use. I'll keep the board updated with my decision. Thanks everyone

Since your already familar with a Fisher CZ, why not a used Fisher CZ land machine. I use a Fisher CZ70Pro as my main coinshooter and will never sell it.
You can get a nice Used Fisher CZ in the 350 range give or take and you sure won't have to worry about depth. Get the 5" coil and vacumn the site up.
JMHO

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I decided on the Teknetics 8000 Omega 3 coil package. There were several on here that recommended this detector, and after doing the research, I had to agree that the Omega 8000 was a great machine for the price. I'll keep you updated on my finds.

I would get a Teknetics Omega-8000 for this. It is very stable, deep, light, and IDs everything very well... and it is proced right!

J