Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher CZ-21 Ground Balancing

digger880

About 6 months ago, I sent my CZ-20 to ElPaso for repairs and to have a 10.5 coil installed. When my machine was returned, I had a CZ-21 with the solid brass pinpointer. How can I ground balance the unit? My handbook has been misplaced and the one I got off the internet is for CZ-20.
HH - Digger8890 (Rod McD.)

CZ-21 should ground balance the same as the CZ-20. If the handbook you got for the CZ-20 matches the one at the Fisher web page for the CZ-20 manual, then just follow the instructions. You probably don't have the blinking red lights any more, and the pinpoint button is different, but other controls should look pretty familiar.

Digger,

The 'bobbing' method works the same whether it is a CZ20 or 21. Set the unit to Autotune ( ie. All metal mode). Set the GB at 10 .Sensitivity at max, volume high enough so you can hear the threshold. Begin lowering and raising the coil off the ground from ( start at a height of about 1/2 inch off the ground and raise the coil about 10-12 inches off the ground) and keep repeating this motion ( similar to plunging a toilet or churning butter ( not my analogy...got that from another forum detectorist and it's a pretty good one).

As you continue to raise and lower the coil in that motion ( not too fast, not too slow), slowly turn the GB knob from 10 to 9, etc. as listen to the threshold. The idea is to get the threshold to NOT change as you raise and lower the coil. When you start the process with the GB at 10, the threshold may rise as you lower the coil to the ground ( or rise as you raise it). You have to try to get the GB to a point on the knob where there is minimal if any rise in threshold in both directions when you raise and lower.

Sometimes you may not be able to get an exact GB, and sometimes you may not get anything at 10 or 1 on the GB knob,. If so, leave the GB at 5.

I have a CZ20 and 2 CZ6a's and there are lots of times I cannot GB at the beach and I just leave it at 5 and there are no problems. Still runs super deep and super stable. The main thing with the CZ's is to make sure you don't run the sensitivity too high and get lots of falsing or high tones on iron. The CZ's still run deep at lower sensitivity settings.

Just remember if you are going to hunt in discriminate mode and you switch from Autotune to Discrim setting 0 or 1 ( of whatever you are going to use), make sure you lower your sensitiviy because it's at it's highest setting. If you don't you will be falsing like crazy.

Also, you can get the manual off the net.

JC