Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First weekend with the Excal, silver and gold!

china-clipper

Hit a few beaches yesterday, got skunked. Today, hit a private beach I have permission to hunt off-season. My 7 year old son got 35 cents in clad in the dry sand, and I scored a 14k white gold wedding band and a 925 ring with crazy stars, moons, and planets. Those tones are crazy on the Excal, it's gonna take some getting used to over my PI. But, I didn't dig a single bit of iron :clapping:.

Very good start. Don't you just love NOT digging iron??

Learn to listen to it. You will get a feel for size and depth after a while. You will learn to distinguish some of the trash items from good stuff too.

How are you setting up your sensitivity?

HH

I'm running sensitivity around 11:00; I'll drop it to 10:00 if it's stable and if not, I never exceed 12:00. I run disc on 1, volume on 3/4 to full, and threshold a slight buzz. I'm going on settings recommended by others on the forum.

I can't wait to give it another shot. Man, those pulltabs sure are LOUD! I thought I had the mother of all rings until I pulled up a tab. Oh well, I guess I have plenty to learn.

Excellent...nice ring!

As for the tones, nothing crazy about 'em. High tones for silver and coins and lower tones for gold. REAL low tones for fine diamond rings and nice chains. As you mentioned, not digging iron is nice. But after a while with the Excal, you'll pass up bottlecaps and maybe pennies sometimes and work EXTRA hard for what you KNOW is a gold ring. Once you get to know the tones you WILL be able to do that.

Keep in mind that the sensitivity control works BACKWARDS.
Just before it clicks into auto it is at MAX. Fully CLOCKWISE is minimum.

There are probably a few running Sovs and Xcals out there who have been running at munimum for years while they thought they were running at maximum.
HH

It's like a vacation hunt with the Excal. I know it's going to be non-ferrous, when I have a target. Have to pic my battles wisely with my PI. Great finds and keep us posted!
GH

Yeah, I hear that. I saw where he said he runs at 11 and "drops it" to 10 oclock if it's stable, so I think he's got the right idea...just probably meant to say he RAISES it to 10.

Personally, I don't think Minelab could have made that whole sensitivity thing more convoluted if they tried, but you have to give them props for making a hell of a machine. :)

Their toilets flush backwards so it's reasonable to expect that detector knobs will work backwards too.
Also...We say "make it lighter" so they make it heavier.

HH