Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Walking Liberty

Buddysox

I know She ain't a beauty, but of course that's with the beholder. Kinda pocket worn and not a high dollar coin but it's the first one I ever found! Went to a 1920's home I located and started with the large front yard. Found a couple of wheaties and the other coins seemed to be mostly 1970-1980 range. I just had a feeling it would be good here. The front yard was good but not spectacular. The ground has been very dry here and I felt I was missing something. This ground here kills the depth and signal quality when its bone dry. Entering the backyard I saw there were several trees, all except one large and old oak looked to have been planted in the last 20 years or so. I sensed that this oak tree was an original to the backyard. Here the shade line of any tree is a good bet. Beginning on the south side I worked my way around in a circle and picked up three 1960's dimes. On the northside I heard a loud silver sound that was hugging the upper right of the smartscreen. When I put the explorer down and tried to use the x-1 pinpointer, no signal at all. Taking a guesstimate I cut a large plug. Still no signal. Dig and try again, loud and clear! After digging about 11" I saw a slight metal rim. Not used to finding somthing that big I wondered if it was the edge of a crushed can. Reaching in and pulling it out I saw what it was and started to pump my fist and yell. Then I realized there was no one around to hear me. Hunting alone and finding a goodie sucks. I think this location will be even better when we get some rain to wet it down, I will be back.

Nice John !! Nothing like finding your first BIG silver !!! Now there's no going back - you're HOOKED !!!
I found my first years ago when I was first detecting (1907 Barber) - an "old" detectorist told me "you aint gonna find nothin' here, been picked over."
A few minutes later I got a BANG of a signal. The coin was pretty much on the surface covered by no more than 1/8 inch of dirt. (I think it might have come up a few years earlier when shrubs were planted at the library). You should have seen the look on the guy's face when I showed him !
Bruce in Ct

John,you did real good. There isn't much else better than finding big silver. The feeling is undescribabel. The large plug is a good idea you'd hate to scratch a coin like that.
Hope you find more, Gary

try the pinpoint mode on the detector. the probe is better for finding the coin in the hole. great find.

Duhhhhhhhh, never thought of that Chuck. Most of the areas I hunt are real trashy and I never can tell what the pinpoint is locking onto as its the same tone for everything. So I normally dont use it. But your right, would have worked well on this, not much trash around.

Congrats - They are one of my favorite coins to find.

My first was a very worn half from 1920, not too pretty either. But I was SOOOO excited about it. Plenty more followed that 1st one, and I'm sure others will follow this for you.

Good luck,

Rich (Utah)

GOOD JOB ON THE WALKING LIBERTY HALF. I HAVE 4 THIS YEAR TWO WAS AT A OIL PLAY GOUND THAT THEY REMOVE.1917-1918AND 43-44.AT THE SAME PARK.

Good job on your first half, walking liberty's are a beautiful coin, pinpoint will work in trashy area's also, you just have to become familar with how to use it, I like to put the pinpoint right on top off the signal in trash and pull it back slowly till the pinpoint stop's. sometime's if there is something right behind your target it won't stop, turn to another angle and try it there, keep doing this till you find an angle where you finally find it. Hope this help's!!!

busy with things. Christmas is here already...and my dad's health is getting considerably worse...so things have been very hectic.

What a sweet find a Walker is. Congrats on the first one.

I have only found one also. Ive been MD since 1970. If fplks lose them someone else finds them on top of the ground. Try finding a $1 gold coin..Gook luck inn the future.

n/t