Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

first time with excalibur on the ocean

Roman44

It must take some practice to get those targets, with the waves beating you down. Any tips or methods that work for you. I am on the east side of FLA Melborn to be exact. I am thinking of going to the treasure cove which is an hour away. Anyone know of some different areas near by. I may try pelican beach.

I have not found any gold yet, but still trying. I have found tons of fragmented aluminun cans, and a few pennies. I am using disc at 1, sens at 11 or 12. I am not using the pinpoint mode for searching. The waves are way too strong to go into the water. Am I doing anything wrong, should I change any settings?

I think you've got it set just right. Now you just need to wave it over some gold. :)

And as Max said, practice with some known targets until you get good. Especially various gold rings and other jewelry, as well as coins. Guess you know what the trash sounds like. A good bit like GOLD does, unfortunatley.

I have had a Excal for close to 3 years now and I dig everything at is not Iron... I Dug a pull tag knowing it was a pull tag and it was a 10k gold ring..

HH
Morris
Ocala,FL

If you don't dig the pull tabs you can give up on the gold. With practice you will be able to tell the difference between a pull tab and a gold ring - SOME of the time but not always. By that point you will dig all the pull tabs anyway, out of habit and to clean the beach so you can get away from digging the same pulltab twice. It would be good if all detectorist would clean up the trash they dig but some still don't, odd because it is in everyones best interest.
You might want to check the marine forecast prior to a hunt, you can factor in the wind and the wave conditions when you choose the area you are going to hunt that day. Why hunt a west facing beach when the wind and surf is from the west? You'll just get pounded. Unless the area of the beach which sees the most activity is sheltered from a west wind then go ahead and hunt it. If all the beaches around you are heavily sanded in try the rivers and lakes, you've got to be versatile if you are going to increase your odds of finding the good loot. Check out thegoldenolde.com for some sage advice and check in with the folks at Beach and Water Hunting on this forum.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

I figured out the problem. This area of Fla has been hit by strong wave action. And any targets were or are burried very deep in sand. This would explain why there was not any gold, silver, or clad, only light aluminum targets. I wondered why, for the fist time at this beach I was the only person detecting. This was not a very populated beach. Well at least I have an idea of the difficulty searching in the water with the waves beating against you.