Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out with GTI 2500 (long Post)

markl59

I just received my GTI 2500. and went out yesterday to a couple of local parks for about three hours this is what I found; not including the pulltabs and other trash, but I dug almost every signal. I have already started the process of returning the class ring it is a girls ring with her name on it class of 96'. I dug probably 20 pulltabs, 5 screwcaps, 3 bottlecaps and 10 pieces of foil. Oh the class ring read one notch above nickel, the sound was crisp and clear and it locked dead on with no bouncing around.

I also had an interesting thing happen. The first park I went to was loaded with trash and I only had my 9.5" coil with me. I did want to try surface blank feature, but not on the first day. Anyway I left that park and went to another park. (I have detected here in Bloomington Indiana for about 10 years). When three park officials approached me and said they had a complaint about someone with a metal detector digging holes and not filling them up. I assured them that I knew better and it was not me. They said my vehicle did not fit the description anyway, and we chatted for awhile and I told them I had seen evidence of someone digging holes in some of the other park before and I filled the holes in, then an older gentlemen comes over and accuses me of digging the holes, I responded that I just got off of work and their was no way it could have been me. The park officials explained that I was not the one they were looking for and I went detecting.

My concern is for the newbies just starting out make sure you fill your holes. It is difficult enough getting permission to hunt old houses. The parks and schools are a few of the free areas left where someone who fears to ask permission can go and metal detect. I fear if the people who are not responsible enough to fill your holes, the hobby will be taken away from everyone. The park agency will simply pass laws that prohibit metal detectors in public parks. I thought when you bought a new detector they all came with a copy of the treasure hunters code of ethics, if not I hope someone in this forum can attach a link so you can go read it. I am not accusing all of you newcomers, but like everything else a few bad apples will ruin a fun and rewarding hobby.

SOME RULES I FOLLOW:

1) Always respect public and private property

2) Always ask permission to hunt on private property and public property as well, rules are different from state to state.

3) ALWAYS FILL YOUR HOLES (When I leave an area I want no-one to know I was even there.)

These are just a few, there is a list somewhere, just use common sense. Thank You and good luck

Good time out with your 2500.

Hey, Mark159,
I, too, hunt with a GTI2500 and love it. What mode did you have it set on when you found the rings? Jewelry, all metal, or what?

Nice finds. Yeah some of the people out there are just terminal idiots. I've been at this for 44 years and have seen many trails of destruction and holes in parks two feet in diameter. I have repaired and filled my share of holes. I've seen guys wandering around parks with enough tools to excavate a swimming pool. One guy had a machette strapped to his leg. Don't know what he planned to do with it as there was no visible jungle to hack through.

Bill

It happen to me at a local church. Detected it and a few days later went by the place and seen some of the holes open back up . So from then on I made sure I stomped the plug tight in the ground.

Jewelry and it was about 2 1/2 inches deep. If you are not digging in the low range you will not find them. You have to listen to the sound. when it is a good crisp clear sound and locked on you better dig. Granted it could be a square tab, but you never know.

They had a complaint of someone digging with a metal detector and not filling in the holes. They had a description of the vehicle he was driving and the person doing the digging. That is how I was eliminated, I did not fit the description of the vehicle or the person.

Nice finds! I was hunting with someone that's been detecting for over 20 years. When he dug some trash he just tossed it in the grass. He also just filled the holes with no effort to put the grass on top. I told him to take the trash and that the grass side goes up! He did just such the rest of the day. I have a cat that follows me when I detect my property. She will re dig my holes if I don't run her off! I know too that Squirrels will do the same.

Thank You,

It was probably just my lucky day, I have read a lot of your post, and was impressed with your finds and your comments, you were one of the reasons I bought the 2500. I thank you again, like I said it was my first time out with it, but it is easy to learn, I owned a Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII. I use the standard tone and the sounds have not changed. I hope to post more finds (maybe more rings Ha Ha). Like I said I think I was just Lucky.