Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out with Coin$trike

I took my Coin$trike out for the first time tonight. I have some modern and old coins glued to paint sticks and I laid them on the ground to see how they read. I couldn't get the numbers to read the same with each pass , but it gave a good tone. I set the iron disc. to 99 and used the 525 set up. For some reason I dug Old nails that read in the mid to upper 20's with a good tone. I ground balanced it how the manual said , but I am kinda frustrated with the results of my first outing. I know that a trashy yard isn't the ideal place to use a detector for the first time , but it's pretty much all that I hunt. I'm going to give it more time yet , but if I can't get better results I just might end up selling it and just stick with my T-2. I've read where people said that they did well in trash with the Coin$trike , but I definatley had a hard time. Maybe there's something wrong with the detector , or maybe it's just the operator ~ Hopefully I can figure out if it's me or the detector. I guess the next time out I should try it in a less trashy area and see how things go. - CoinShooter-Craig

Craig, don't get frustrated. Check the target from at least two or three angles. Use the tones to get your attention, but use the numbers for whether to dig or not. A coin will stay within one or two numbers even at depth. I have seen a pull tab high tone from all directions, but the numbers will almost always jump around when you check it from different angles. Trust me when I say the Coinstrike will lock on a coin with consistant numbers. If the numbers are jumping all over the place leave it in the ground. R.L.

Thanks guys. I'll give it more time yet , I just hate digging rusty nails. That's why I got rid of my E-Trac. The only rusty iron that I dig with my T-2 is an occasional rusty washer , which doesn't bother me - I just hate rusty nails. ~ CoinShooter-Craig

Hi Craig,

It has been a couple years since I used the Coinstrike but I do not recall rusty nails being much of a problem. I hunt mostly older sites which of course have lots of them in the ground.

Where you can run into trouble is not using a well controlled smooth coil sweep. Speeding up or slowing down the coil mid-sweep will cause iron to false more. A full width steady sweep is the ticket. Once you get a hit that you want to investigate make a few more full sweeps over the target to get a better idea of the location before trying to zero in on it with smaller tighter sweeps.

Ground balance can be important also with the Coinstrike. Sometimes I used auto-trac to set the ground balance at older sites rather than trying to find a clean spot. Turn tracking on make a few (4-5) sweeps and turn tracking off. Letting the detector see some iron during the procedure seems to help reduce the iron response. Anway, its worth a try.

Tom