Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out this year.

Heilan Laddy

I have been watching the snow slowly disappear from a small park that I have been driving by on the way to work. It is in a very small almost ghost town that happens to be one of the oldest in the area. I have hunted there a little and found a Army general service eagle button and some Indian Heads. I decided yesterday was the day. Packed the Silver Umax with me to work and I was excited all day about detecting on the way home. After months of not digging it was oh so good the put on the headphones and put the coil on the ground. I love the anticipation of what I might find. I tend to dig all good signals and I like being surprised. Some times I do thumb the disc. and get an Idea of what is in the ground though. Again I was amazed at how accurate the Disc. is on this detector. Who needs TID? I found mostly pull tabs. I knew they were probably tabs but I dig it all. Some of those will be gold rings. I used to use a lot of discrimination but now I turn it all the way down. Since I started doing this my good finds have gone way up. Another thing I notice about the Silver Umax is that foil, no matter how big it is discs. out at foil. My other detectors would sometimes give a good coin signal on large pieces of foil. The Silver has the most crisp and accurate disc. Of all the detectors I have used.

I was using the 5.75 concentric. I got it in Nov. and only got to use it once before things got too cold. I think this coil will be my main coil. Maybe I'll put the 8" back on after I have cleaned out every signal with the smaller coil, although the 5.75 gets almost the depth of the 8". I rally like pinpointing with the 5.75 and amazingly I don't feel like I am loosing coverage. Maybe this is because I tend to go slow anyway.

I only found a few pennies and a lot of pulltabs but I was happy. For me it is all about the surprise factor and digging lots of trash means I will be surprised by a big fat gold ring more often. I would never have dug that Eagle button If I hadn't had my disc. all the way down. It disced. out between foil and Nickel. It was great to get the Lesche dirty again. I came home with muddy knees and a smile and I can't wait to try again today.