Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time on a tot-lot

relic-hunter

I had a couple of hours to waste this morning so I decided to hit a local tot lot for the first time. It is mostly covered with dead pine stuff mostly needles or something like that. It's laid out pretty thick in some spots, but you can brush it aside pretty easily. I had my depth / sensitivity set to minimum so I wouldn't need a digging tool, just scratch away the surface stuff with my hand. I did it that way because I didn't know if someone might hassle me about detecting there. No one did. But it was just as productive as my trips to the beach. Lots of trash, bottle caps pull tabs a couple of old bolts, a girls hair thing, and a pair of tweezers. Plus 89 cents in pocket change. I just did the areas around the picnic tables and benches. Pretty nice little spot. I will have to add that to my list of places to return to again.

Hi Relic-hunter,

I had a Garrett GTAx 500 for a while. I have hit a ton of tot lots and found jewelry at most. I hope
you will not mind if I offer a little constructive criticism.

I noticed that you said:

I had my depth / sensitivity set to minimum so I wouldn't need a digging tool, just
scratch away the surface stuff with my hand.

If you turn your sensitivity down, you turn off small gold and probably larger gold also. If you have
any small gold samples, I would suggest you air test with them. You may be lucky to get any depth,
even with the sensitivity turned up high. If you want to find gold, turn your sensitivity as high as you
can stand it. Women like stones on frail looking gold mountings. The bigger the stone the better.
The small mountings and backings set off stones that are not so big. If you just depend on large
gold rings, then you are really limiting your self.
I can dig most tot lots with the side of my foot. I have a special tool for tight wood chips. I recover
targets in most tot lots at a good clip. I'm disabled and can't do much. But I got good at tot lots.

Then you said:

I did it that way because I didn't know if someone might hassle me about detecting there.
No one did.

I've never had a sober person hassle me in a tot lot. If I am in a restricted area I get permission or a permit
or don't hunt. Kids have over whelmed me, but I am a jolly, bald headed old man that doesn't mind.

Best wishes in this hobby,

HH,

Hey I don't mind a bit of criticism in fact I welcome it. I definitely have plenty to learn about detecting. Thanks for the advise I will keep that in mind in my future detecting of tot lots.

I will go around all the poles first with low sens. Then increase the sens and cover the field. I can dig a foot down with the toe of my boot. I first dig sideways with my boot down 6 inches then use my toe to go deeper. Use your boot to cover your holes. Only bend over to pick up the loot!

Well those sure sound like some pointy toe'd eyetalian boots to me Khouse!:rofl:

Didja have 'em special made?

Just plain old Sears Diehard boots! :buds:
I was thinking about building some kind of digger to strap on my boot though! Think anyone would mess with me with a Lesche strapped to each boot? :rofl:

Dress like Edward Scissorhands. If anybody stops you tell em you thought it was Halloween and you was looking for a costume party:buds: