Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Silver!

ChrisD in NC

I'm a clad hunter. No real reason for it but I just like the whole find / analyze / dig / surprise sequence of the hobby. I've been at it off and on for a few years now hunting mainly parks. Until today I have never found any silver.

Today my 12 year old son and I went to a park here in Iowa for a few hours of detecting. This was my first time out with the Sovereign Elite since my mods from David at Dixie. I'm running with a straight rod, a CoinSearch coil and David's internal mods. With only a couple hours on the machine since getting it back from David I'm still getting used to the internal mods. All the sounds are a bit "stretched out" and higher. Also, I always used the threshold before so the silent search takes a bit of getting used to. I have to say though, this was one of my more productive hunts in this older beat-to-death park so something's working better!

Anyway, back to the silver. Jared and I were working our way back to the truck and scanning the area leading up to the parking lot. I was digging up some pennies and a dime or two. The whole area is pretty trashy. I happened upon one signal that didn't look right on the meter. It was showing in the nickel area. The sound is what caused me to dig though. It had a really good quality ring to it with just a little roughness so I figured it could be a deep nickel. After about 6" of digging I pulled a 1964 nickel. Just what I thought! Before closing up the hole I swabbed around with my SunRay. Low and behold there was the brightest, shiniest, perfect condition dime you could imagine gleaming up at me from one of my dirt piles. It was silver!! It's only a 1964 Rosie but hey, I'll take it! I also found a little earring. No doubt the diamonds are fake but I'll check it a little closer.

So we had a fun hunt today. Jared didn't do quite as well with his Ace but he found a couple pennies and a costume wig. Sometimes we find the strangest stuff when hunting. So there it is. My first silver coin.

Best regards - Chris (in Iowa now)

Good for you. That is one of the best feelings, to find a silver coin. That is what I mainly look for in my searches. True, you can not always find silver, but I search in areas that have a history of old finds. My spots can be in wooded areas, or near big old trees. One hundred years ago, these spots looked different and people may have lost their coins. And most those who metal detect do not go into the woods. That is why I have found several hundred silver coins well over a hundred years old. Recently found a 1901 silver half dollar in very fine condition. It was near a decayed tree stump. The oldest coin in the woods I found was a 1877 quarter. Keep looking and dig all faint signals. And wait till you find your first gold ring. Then it gets real fun.

Good advice on the woods. Now that the poison ivy is withering away I just might try that. This area I've been hunting has plenty of woods in it that probably wasn't there originally. I'll give it a shot!