Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First silver with se

petew

I found this 1946 walking half with my se about 3 days after I got it,which was 3 months ago.First and only one I've ever found,I was a very happy guy that day.I just got a new phone that allows me to post pics here so better late then never.
On another note,I has my se up for trade,and ended up messing up the bottom cam,so I ordered a new middle shaft and decided to keep the se pro,I'm glad I did.It is really that good.

That is one coin that eludes my prying ears after 5 years:ranting: of course,there are others but just because I want one of those,it's still not here. I don't know what to say about the whole Explorer thing in general,other than I'm glad as HELL I got one. Easy to operate,accurate,deep...it has all the tools one needs to do exactly what we all do,except the auto-shovel to dig it up for you. I seriously had an older gentleman ask me if it did just that,I politely said NO. It was very hard to keep a straight face,as he was serious about it. I suppose if you sharpened the front of the coil you could dig with it. Prolly void the warranty though..."really...no for real....the whole thing just shattered..":pinnochio
You can clearly see I've found the emoticons...:rolleyes:

IDX, hang in there I've got a feeling there's one with your name on it. It's time for a little story. I've been detecting on and off, mostly on, since 1987. Never found a silver half of any kind. I've got a hunting partner who I've hunted with over most of that period. Back in the 90's we were pretty competitive in a friendly sort of way always trying to see who could out silver or out relic the other. I had my CZ 5, his weapon of choice the Tesoro Toltec 100. Overall I usually found more silver and better relics, BUT, he had an uncanny knack for finding silver halfs. From about '91 through '94 he found 3 Walking Liberty's I found none. For about a decade we both became enamored of arrowhead hunting and all but quit detecting. Then one day he shows up with an AT Pro and tells me how much silver he's finding etc. So I do some research find the detector I think will suit me, save some dough get a great deal on a Minelab Explorer SE Pro with full warranty for around 1000. We start going up against each other again, just like old times. Took me a few weeks to get my feet under me with the Explorer but once I dialed in Bryce Brown's settings I started getting it. Well we were pretty even there each finding a fair share of silver coins. Then one day we hunted an old home a friend of his lived in. Dated to the late 1800's. I found a neat ornate key to a keg tap. But we'd started late and it was getting dark. I see my buddy bending over a plug with his iphone out. Uh oh, I know he's found something really nice. Well great we all have those ureka moments and I'm happy for him. I walk over to take a look and it's a Walking Liberty half dollar!(#4) I felt a mixture of disbelief and agonizing futility. So I congratulate him(I hope I sounded sincere) and on the ride home I admit I'm at a loss as to why I can't find one. By the way I'm the one who generally does all the research and locate most of the sites we hunt. So I find an old high school site that the community has turned into a park/ball field. It's a fair drive from home, 40 miles. We don't know what we have until on our first hunt I find a Mercury and we both find several wheats and a couple of war nickles. Enough to whet our appetites. Another hunt or two and we're rolling. Silver is a cinch, Indians, V nickels etc. Near the end of a hunt maybe the third time out there I see my bud hunched over a hole with his phone gleaming and he's talking in it like he's making a statement to the press. I wander over to take a look. So he's got his soil cloth out with his digging knife on it and a nice shiny silver Rosy. Wow I said that's a nice looking Rosy, trying not to sound to relieved that he hasn't busted some crazy amazing find( Look, I really try not to get envious and I've gotten better about it). Then after looking at me for a moment he picks up the knife and the Rosy and snatches the cloth away revealing, that's right, a Walking Liberty half. Ok this is what I said(it slipped out) "you son-of-a *gun*". Don't worry I know he relished the moment. I sheepishly walked back to my obviously lesser detector and disconsolately swung the coil back and forth. I hadn't found crap in about an hour. So I ask my buddy if it'd be ok if I saunter over to the section he's been hunting. Sure, no problem! So I position myself about 50 ft away from him and start hunting up a line paralele to his line. Less than 5 minutes later I get a "wow" hit. High tinkle, pegged solidly in the right upper corner of the Smart Screen. "Quarter" I'm thinking, hoping. Dig the plug not so casually. Poke the pro pointer in there, it goes crazy, I grab a handful of dirt and immediately feel something of serious weight. I shake the dirt loose and I'm holding a 1935 Walking Liberty half dollar! I was literally shaking with excitement. My Bud asks, "what is it" and I yell " I'm a member of the half dollar club!" Bless his heart he was really tickled and came over to take pictures. What a day that was. So my Bud has me still 5 to one but that's so much better than 5 to none. Anyway the point of course is to keep plugging(literally and figuratively) and I'll bet you find yours IDX. It is definitely out there. Sorry about the length. Oh, and I don't have the lesser detector.

Thanks Petew. Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, it just seemed like a good opportunity to tell that little tale. And I'm glad you decided to stick with the Se Pro. I read on the forums somewhere that the Minelab Explorer line and E-trac and I suppose the CTX are like the Ferrari's of detectors. At times a little finicky but boy what power and performance when you've got them clicking.

Yes minelabs fbs are really the top of the line.I said that the only reason I still have my se is because I broke the cam on the middle rod,well I went whole hog and got not just one upper rod coming but also a x1 pointer on another upper rod.I've always wanted to try that,it'll be here this weekend.

Don't know much about the x-1 probe but a lot of folks use them and love what they add to the hunt. I've been content with the pro pointer. Heck it hasn't been so long ago I was waving handfuls of dirt over the coil for locating the target! I hope it proves a potent combo for you. Just do that research and get the coil on the ground.

that coin has fantastic detail, congrats!