Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First silver - a sad tale

LarryK

I don't post often, but I read everybody else's stories of success.
I've owned my XS about 3 1/2 years but only get to average about 1 hour a week if I'm lucky, usually at a small park near my house. I've found a class ring which I was able to return, and a wedding band with no markings so I guess it's mine. But I've never found any silver, UNTIL THE OTHER DAY. It's not much, a 1945s (I think it's what they call a micro s) in good shape and I found it in my own back yard. This is the sad part of the tale. I am building a patio, and I found the dime with a roto-tiller. Luckily, it wasn't damaged. Now I wondering, should I take my roto-tiller to the park?? Maybe I could find more silver. What do ya think? Good idea or bad?

Larry

I have often thought that would be the best way to sort through the trashy areas.
Congrats on your silver! There is more out there.
HH

Congrats on your first silver find............:) I have to say that I think it would be a very bad idea to take a roto-tiller to that park by your place or any other park for that matter. There are plenty of guys out there that make a big mess digging plugs and not filling in their holes correctly and I'm not accusing you of doing this. My point being that these guys give all of us a bad name and more areas to hunt like parks are being shut down to metal detecting because of these jerks!! Taking a roto-tiller to a park would be suicide and only common sense should come into play here and if you want to keep going back to that park you better keep the roto-tiller at home. HH.

Eddie

Okay Larry.............You got me that time...........:) No offense taken I hope. You just never know though Larry. Some idiot could read something like this and one day will read "Guy caught in a park with a roto-tiller"............:)

Eddie

buried a nice test garden and then could not find my coins,:lol: they are still in the back yard!:rage: I spent 2 weeks in my back yard and found 3 pennies while all the neighbors watched, then while raking leaves I found a nice silver quarter laying on the ground while they were looking on:rofl:I have had a hard time living that one down:nopity:

why we're swapping tales... back in 80's I told my wife to bury a SLQ for me in the backyard. We'll she did and then I went looking for it.
Nothing. I searched and searched. Finally one day I asked her where the heck she buried it. Well she buried it about 8" deep where a coal cinder pile had been and on "edge". Never found it! :rofl:

That soil was so loamy and filled with cinders - it's probably at 16"
deep mark now. In case you don't know, most detectors will sound off on coal cinders esp. VLF machines.

then I was digging a hole for a garden about 15 feet away and found a half dollar at about a foot deep. So I figure that I got a 100% return on my investment. :rofl: true story - go figure!