Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Seated Liberty For Me

Dug

[attachment 66775 earlyaug07076m.JPG]

[attachment 66774 earlyaug07074m.JPG]

Have been out only a few times this summer and usually only for 2-4 hours at a time. Was metal detecting in England for a week the first part of April, though, which was quite different.

Found the 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter and 1913 Barber dime above at a county Fairgrounds in ND. It was near James' stomping grounds; so doubly surprised they were still there. They are sure dirty, but with a magnifier 5 of the 7 letters of Liberty are still legible on the shield. These were in class 5 gravel and I almost needed a jackhammer to dig'em.

Thank you, Jeff and Maria! Where are you from and how long have you been detecting metal?

The interesting thing about this find is that it was in area where fill dirt (gravel, asphalt and concrete chunks)had been hauled from the nearby town when the main street had been torn up and redone a few years ago. The fill dirt was then spread out over a 2 or 3 acre area. Most metal detectorists who visit the fairgrounds spend their time far away from where I was detecting. I only ended up in this area by ignorance and accident, and only found out about its history later. I will be going back there soon. Wouldn't you?

It is what makes this hobby so fun; once in a while uncovering something valuable economically, historically, socially, personally, etc. How did you get into this hobby and where are you from?

Be sure to read my response to Jeff and Maria for the interesting story about where this seated liberty quarter and the barber dime were found. Additionally, the particular area where I was detecting was fill dirt 7 feet deep.

Those are some great finds Doug! Suppose you won't say exactly which Fairgrounds you found them at? If they were in a Gravel Road, there is a lot of area's that one can detect because I don't really have the patience to dig thru Rock Hard Ground, especially when it could be a New Coin. Congrats on that Seated Quarter and Barber Dime. They are in terrific shape. Looks like they could use some Electrolysis to try and remove the Crud from them. Continued Success, Good Luck and HH.:thumbup:

soon. I'm planning to head back there tomorrow.

About electrolysis, tell me how to set that up.

Thanks.

Hey Holedigger,

The coins do show evidence of being driven over, bulldozed, hauled, dumped, bladed, and stressed. The quarter is actually slightly bent. And as you notice both coins are pretty well caked with crud.

Why if they are so ugly does one still like to look at them?