Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First real test Coinmaster

Keeshond John

Decided to take my new Coinmaster to the local town beach today and ended up staying in the gravel parking lot. Why? I turned the Coinmaster on and immediately hit a quarter next to my car. Then another one.

The parking lot is several acres in size and made up of mostly course gravel and sand. Best part was the fact it was not frozen. The sun beating on it all day along with some salt content has left it workable.

I had intended to try the dry beach but could not get away from the parking lot - one hit after another. Funny, I'd never really thought of searching the lot before and judging by the number of coins I picked up in one tiny area nobody else seems to either. In just one hour and 15 minutes I lifted 46 coins, a steel golf green repair tool, 2 small silver rings, a brass locket with the gold plating destroyed, a set of keys and small folding knife that was in very good shape. The knife was a Cold Steel number with a synthetic handle and stainless 3 inch blade in fine shape. Coins were all modern clad as follows: 13 quarters, 15 dimes, 9 nickels, and 19 pennies. Most of the pennies were rotten zinc. I actually had so many coin hits that I was restricting myself to the shallow signals because I only had a short bit of time. I did better just taking the shallow stuff and moving on. Had I more time, I'd have dug everything.

Thoughts on the Coinmaster: This inexpensive detector is most certainly not a toy. I've been 11 years out of the coinshooting business and in the past owned a Classics 3, a low-end Fisher (good machine) and a White's Surfmaster PI. The Surfmaster is the most expensive machine I'd ever owned. I never could afford to spend the kind of money a person can in this sport. But I did learn those earlier machines and did very well with them.

Now I have to say that the modern Coinmaster at 180 bucks is the full equal to all the above machines as long as you stay out of the salt water. You can't expect it to work in the salt but you have to see it to believe how well it works on dry sand. I was easily taking coins at 4-5 inches of hard packed gravel in the parking lot, and leaving other stuff deeper. I did dig for one dime at a full 7 inches in this hard pack. I stopped after this one deep dig because it was costing me too much time and I was having no problem locating targets nearer the surface. Later I buried a dime in the loose, dry sand of the beach down to 8" and the Coinmaster sounded on it at its highest level of discrimination. Sensitivity was at its highest for this test and the machine was unbelievably stable. I still can't believe I could run a VHF machine on a dry salt beach at its highest sensitivity and not have issues.

The first level of discrimination on the Coinmaster is very effective in knocking out iron. This is how I ran the machine for the most part but did try all the settings. You can use all the discrimination the machine can deliver and have a very, very good coin-only machine that seems to loose virtually no depth. As mentioned before, I detected a dime at 8 inches set like this (full disc.) but with the sensitivity all the way up. You will miss all gold but if coins are what you're after, and you don't want to hear a whisper from anything else, this is the way to go. I prefer much less discrimination for the hope of a gold ring, but the option is there for pure modern coin coinshooting at good depth with little fuss.

Overall I have to say this little bugger is an amazing value and far exceeds my expectations. Not only does the depth meter work very well in telling whether the item is shallow or deep, but the target ID is very good on coins. It has trouble with pull tabs like most machines but it knows a penny from a nickel from a quarter almost every time. The best thing I learned is you can run this machine on the dry beach at low discrimination and high sensitivity and have a virtually dead set of headphones until you actually hit some kind of metal. No chatter, no popping and jumping around. It's been a while since I've used a metal detector and I can see they have improved a good deal. This little machine should be great on small gold items in the dry beach sand this summer.

Don't be put off by the low price. If you have a good machine you like now, get one of these for backup. Or try one for dry sand beaches only. It will stun you.

Value plus machine. Very popular over here in Australia and never hear a complaint about them. Makes the cheap Chinese detectors they sell over here look like what they really are, Chinese junks.

B.T.
Just curious what its cost for the Coin Master down under? Also how does it do
in the dry sand at the beach?

Katz

I'm still debateing if I want to get one for my son. If it ends up in the closet forever and ever, it won't be such a loss.
Katz

If it ends up in the closet it will be because your son does not like finding things. Rather doubt any real kid will not like finding treasure of any kind. I'd buy the boy this thing in a minute.

Did you notice if the machine had a slow recovery speed? The reason I ask is everything I read about it says it is the same as the Prizm III which everyone says is terribly slow. I will be getting a new detector in a few weeks and like the White's machines, was thinking about the Ace 250 but cant get past the annoying tones and seems like the Coinmaster would pinpoint better. Looked at the Silver Umax but I think I will want to be able to knock out the tabs when I get tired of digging them. Did the 9" coil seem to be sensitive to the small finds? Sorry for all the questions but this is the first real review I have seen on the Coinmaster. Thanks for posting it.

Tabcollector: The only other machines I have experience with are an older Classics 3 by White's, a Surfmaster by White's, and an inexpensive Fisher 1212x. Believe it or not, the Fisher was very quick to recover with the Surfmaster PI and Classics 3 on about an even par with this newest Coinmaster. More experienced men on this forum could tell you if those other two White's machines are fast. I do not have the background to make comparisons. That said, I have no problem pinpointing with simple Xs over the target. No problem getting repeat target beeps on good targets. If it skips on you or fails to sound on the return swing you can be assured it's junk metal.

The usual simple tricks like lifting the coil and wiggling or shaking it more rapidly over the spot works very well for me with the Coinmaster. You can get a fairly rapid sounding of the beep right over the object. This is how I learned to pinpoint long before reading about it. It seemed intuitive to me at the time when I was learning. On lifting the coil I picture the narrowed search point of your electrical field tickling the coin or 12 pound gold bar.

No doubt there are better machines for 4X the money that will work better. But if you stop reading other machine's tech data and simply work on learning these base machines, you'll be amazed at how well they work down to about 6 inches in any kind of soil. Ideal conditions like at the beach with loose dry sand they get down around 8-9 inches in my experience. This on coin-sized objects. Deeper on big cans and Black Beard's chests.

Hope this helps.

Forgive me Old Katz. I pictured a nine-year-old chasing you around. 42 isn't too old. Maybe get him a Coinmaster and a sixpack. Hard to go wrong then.

Tabcollector: Went back and reread your post - about the coil and small objects: If you set the discrimination at one of the lower settings you will have no problem picking up tiny things like earrings or delicate rings of 14K. I tested this with air tests in the house and later used tiny bits of aluminum I found outside to test the machine in the dirt. Aluminum scrap is very much like small gold in actual field work. This is why so many people (including me) miss small gold rings when using modest discrimination that takes out most flip tops and shredded aluminum cans.

With this machine I'd run it at all-metal or with the first level of iron disc. at the beach where you are principally interested in gold jewelry. Sensitivity you set as high as you can. I found I could use the most sensitive setting on the upper dry sand of my saltwater beach in Massachusetts. Get down where the sand holds water and it starts to chatter a bit. Tone it down and you do lose a bit of depth, but not so much as to make it worthless. I managed to find a flip top (alum) with sensitivity at about (one half) in wet salt sand at 5 inches. Machine was running quiet and I had disc. set to take out iron. (first notch)

As I said before, this thing amazed me. It's every bit as good, and maybe better, than the earlier White's detector's I had 12 years ago, and at a fraction of the cost. Even the meter works to a useful degree. Depth is spot on.

I dare say an operator who learns this machine can take 98% of the targets the best machine ever devised can up to 6 inches. ( I find most stuff in this range.) That's nothing to scoff at, it's all about patients and paying attention to what the bugger is telling you.

Thank you for responding, it has helped me to decide what to get. Sometimes simplicity is the best. Happy hunting.

>Forgive me Old Katz. I pictured a nine-year-old chasing you around. 42 isn't too old. Maybe get him a Coinmaster and a sixpack. Hard to go wrong then.<

Hahahaha.
With his capacity I'd have to buy him at least a case or two.:)-)
Just give me a good bottle of wine and I'm right at home.
Katz

Katz, that beercat is awfully cute. My wife has an animal marked very much like it. Our cat doesn't drink beer, however. We also have 2 male Keeshond dogs. They do drink beer and chase the cat when under the influence. It's tough to be a cat around beer drinking dogs.

I really enjoy the coin master. i purchased one for my 9 year old as a Christmas gift. We are both really new into the hobby and are fortunate to have Larry as our dealer. We live in the same town and he is about 1 mile away. So when i started looking for a detector for my son he led me to this unit. Although the ground is frozen where we are in Illinois, we have hit a couple of sledding areas close to us to learn how to use the machine. My son was able to find 5 quarters and some dimes in the snow. He was very excited about it. It seems this machine is great for beginners like us, but has some nice features. We plan on using it on several vacations this year and hopefully he will improve his skills with it by then.

For the price and features this machine is great.

Welcome to the Forums Gary and thanks for the Kudos. If you think he is excited now, wait until he pulls his first gold ring out of the ground.................:super:

I just bought a Coinmaster and am still trying to master the settings.I have only used it a few times and i like the feel of it,well balanced.

Old Katz... Chap I know just bought one from Whites Agent in Australia. Cost A$299.00 A very good price when you put them against a Bounty Hunter for comparison.

Cheers

Wildcat

He Blind Dr:

I think its great you can do something with your
boy. Helps make the bond deeper between the two of you.
Katz

Just for kicks how does it compare to the ACE 250. If it doesnt bing and bong like that one, it is a step ahead.