Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Impression of the Tejon

D Wes

Its a animal of a Detector with crisp sharp audio and the tone adjustment is superb. I have hunted with it for two days now, looking forward to hunting tomorrow. I like the chatter of the Tejon, some have said its a little noisy, and this is true, but I have found that the Tejon is giving me a lot of ground information much like the T2 does. My self I like to know how much iron and trash is in the ground at the different sites I hunt and this information is well given with the Tejon. I am amazed at how good the audio is and with deep targets its still loud and sharp, crisp and solid.
The depth is there and even with the 5.75 DD coil which is all I have used so far, depth is impressive and the ability to separate keepers from Iron is the best I have encountered with a Detector.
Even with the chatter going on its so easy to tell when the Tejon Hits a good target, and when using the VCO in pinpoint, wow its gives a lot of info on the target in the ground. The Dual discrimination is down right spooky due to the precise adjustments that can be made. I used the Tejon in my yard first and its the worst site I have hunted in a long time due to the Iron trash and strange soil. its a very tough place to hunt even for a veteran. The yard has produced some very nice keepers. Its been pounded by several detectors and its not even close to being hunted out. Ground balancing was easy and quick. I like the straight forward control knobs and no whistle and bells, Touch pads and digital screens are great and I like them. Tesoro has proven to me you don't need them to have a top of the line detector. I have already dug several nice keepers out of my yard and they were all next to Iron. I haven't used a single tone detector in many years, but the
Tejon is one unique Detector that I will be using a great deal to hunt old homes and relic hunting with. My only complaint is I didn't buy one sooner. Thanks Tesoro for making my Day!

Great machine! Continued success with it!

Neil

Sounds like you are doing well with the Tejon.

I took mine out today and got a lot of little pieces of aluminum scrap and a couple of pieces of junk jewelry and a good bit of lead from melted lead splatters. They must have done some plumbing prefitting in that school yard. If there had been gold jewelry anywhere I had put the coil, I would have found it.

Congrats on getting your Tejon.
tvr

Hi D WES. Please explain to me why you like a single tone detector? I am not trying to be rude to you buddy, this is an honest question. I have been using an ACE 250 with the big coil for the last two years and I really feel like the different tones help me to differentiate ferrous/ non ferrous etc. The ACE howls on silver/copper coins. However, it has limitations as being a lower end unit and I have been looking at the Tejon as a possible next step up. I'm not here to say that the ACE butters my toast in the morning, it's just a good beginners unit. What does the Tejon do that the ACE doesn't? I can take straight honest answers without being brand offended. Thanks. :detecting:

The Ace 250 is a good detector, I got my best friend started metal detecting with it and he still has it and we both use it. A single tone detector is not for every one who coin hunts in parks and schools. It takes a lot more patience to use and I have seen some just plain give up on a single tone and up grade to a multiple tone detector. The benefits is with a single tone, you dig more and the keepers can be greater at the end of the day! I get lazy with a multiple tone detector and a meter sometimes and get a signal and say to my self its trash and move on. Then my friend goes over there and digs up a nice ring. My Ex used a Tesoro single tone and she dug more rings and jewelry than I ever did with my top of the line Whites and Minelab. She wasn't afraid to dig and dig and dig more. I was a little on the lazy side and only went for the cherry picking of targets. I'm sure the old schools love to hunt behind me. My advice is to borrow a single tone detector and try it out first to see if you got the patience to use one in a trashy area. I'm not going to tell you to go out and buy a Tejon for you to come back and say ya don't like it and what a waste of money and time. Yes its a great machine and it loves gold jewelery and low conductive targets, hits good on silver but better on nickle and brass. You are use to a multiple tone detector and it may not be suitable to your liking to go to a single tone detector. My main reason for buying the Tejon was to use the 5.75DD coil on it to hunt in Heavy Iron infested sites and Relic Hunt in fields with it.
I have learned just how lazy I have gotten and the Tejon has had me digging and digging to the point where I am having fun again detecting and not getting discouraged with not getting the sweat deep High tones all the time. I will be honest here and say my first choice for park hunting would be a multiple tone detector, but the Tejon will be standing buy for the second half of the hunt.
We all have our own likes and dislikes with different taste in detectors. My mentor who taught me how to metal detect used a single tone detector and put me to shame on every hunt. he started out in the good old days back in the early 70,s. I just didn't have the patience he did and he had his detector mastered and he and it were one. I used a multiple tone detector and was happy with it.
Have A Great Day, D Wes.

just because its a single tone doesn't mean you won't know what you're digging......much of the time I can guess what the target is by the way the single tone sounds......and that's with cheap ear phones too

I agree with you and in my short time of using the Tejon I have been able to discern the difference in some targets with the single tone. I'm sure with much more time with the Tejon I will be able to do a lot better at learning the targets under the coil. I am enjoying this Detector a great deal and having more fun with it than any other Detector I have owned, which is very refreshing. But I am not comfortable to recommend a single tone machine to some one that has never used one but only a multiple tone. All the Tesoro's I have used had very good audio and the best discrimination out there which is why I feel The Tesoro's find a lot of jewelry and goodies. The one who can master a single tone Tesoro will be highly rewarded and this is my opinion only. I'm a lot older now and have a little more knowledge or better said more patience's.
Tesoro detectors have the ability with a single tone to tell the difference of targets under the coil, I can not explain or even describe how this is or say that every one who swings one will. I do highly recommend Tesoro Detectors. Warranty is the best in the industry and service is first class. I called Tesoro in Arizona to ask about having my discrimination altered like the UK versions. The service I got just doesn't get any better.:thumbup:

I use Black Widows with my Tejon and you can definitely hear the differences...especially at the end of the target. Good targets have a more abrupt, smooth, ending sound while iron and junk targets have a more fuzzy, grainy, not so smooth sound.

Cannot explain it in words, but one can for sure hear differences...more so with a good pair of headphones.

JC

small headphones.....my favorite places to detect are deep in the woods......I want to hear whats going on around me and I prefer light weight phones:geek:

HH

I am the opposite since I mostly hunt beaches. I don't use the Tejon there, but in parks and tot lots, but I still use the Black Widows. I won't use them in the woods though....too many creepy crawly things there.

On the beach, I need to muffle out the noise of the surf. I use them with my CZ's and I can really hear the mellow deep targets. Found lots of deep silver with them.

Thanks for the reply buddy, it was thought provoking and very informative. There may very well be a Tejon in my future as I'm into relics and I find a lot of brass.

Stinkfoot, you can get a used Tejon at ridiculously low price at the moment. It worth every dollar. I bought one used and this machine is awsom, I can't wait to see what I be able to do with after 100-200 hours of practice. Some other recommand the Vaquero.. I don't know..

Charles

i'm thinking on moving to a Vaquero, but i have heard a lot of good things about the Tejon, the higher price justify a better performance, thats true. there is someone who has use both machines? whats the difference between both? and how is the Tejon at the beach?

I like the Tejon on the dry sand with the 3 x 18 coil. It covers a lot of area quickly at pretty good depth. Have experimented with the Tejon with both the standard coil and the 3 x 18 on the wet sand and over some pretty ugly black sand just to see what I could do with it. While it can do OK over wet salt sand that isn't black, I lost a lot of depth and could not adjust to get much depth over real black stuff, even trying all metal. The CZ's do much better in the wet salt sand environment. When the sand is real black, I've got a Sand Shark.

Have not used a Vaquero so can't do that comparison.
tvr

I read all your input on how the Tejon works. Let me tell you guys something else about the tejon, you can discern the defference between foil, silver, and gold with the Tejon. From my experience with it, I have found out that when The Tejon gives you a good strong signal with the first Disc. turned up all the way to the end for silver, it just might also be foil but you can tell if it is foil when you use your pinpointer trigger. Because when you do as your passing over the target, soon as you let it go and take the coil away, you will get a delayed destorted sound which is sort of a clipping. That means it is foil, 99% of the time. Now, since we got that out of the way I will lead you to the gold. From my experience, since I noticed that with the foil with Disc.1 at the end for silver, I now hunt more in the foil for gold, if you get a good signal in the foil mode, use you pinpoint trigger, if you get that delay chatter, it's foil, if you don't it could be gold so it's worth digging. Oh, one more thing, if you raise the coil up about a foot above the taget and you still get strong signal, it's for shure a nice piece of ilum... Hoped this helped somebody, Happy Hunting, And go get em Tejon.....................

In limited time at the beach I had trouble ground balancing but still found a few coins. Could not get near the wet sand with the T. Still a monster for relics and really good for coin/jewelry/nickels.

DigginMike,
Try ground balancing over the dry sand then, without changing GB, go hunt the wet. To discriminate out the conductive salts, you may need the discriminator up as high as foil. May also have to take the sensitivity down slightly, but if you don't hit a large change in mineralization (like black sand) you should be able to hunt OK. May not be able to use the pinpoint for much, but Tejon does well enough to find some coins and jewelry.

Not the best conditions for the Tejon, but it's one heck of a lot better being over a wet salt beach with the Tejon, than being over a wet salt beach and not detecting.
tvr