Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Hunt with the Excal

Mike2

Hit the beach with my new Excal this morning for a short time before heading off to work. As this was my first time out with the new machine I was not expecting to much, and was not disappointed, I did find a few bits and pieces of junk bottle tops ect, and I was absolutely amazed at the depth and sensitivity of this machine. I picked up a half section of the

I was asking this question about a month ago when I purchased my Excal and its normal for the threshold to buzz after going over a rejected target and won't comeback to a normal threshold until you go over a good target.. most leave the discrimination at 1. If you don't like the buzz just run your coil over your scoop to bring back the more pleasant sounding tone :)

As Craig said, it's normal. See, one of the characteristics of the Excal is that the threshold takes on the tone of the last detected target. If that was a discriminated out target then it can go away completely. And when that happens I will flash mt scoop handle close to the coil just real quick and snatch it away and usually the threshold will come back. No matter, if it doesn't it will as soon as you hit another target.

Also, lose the disc completely. If you run it up any you will lose some of the finer thin ladies gold bands...the ones that usually have the fat-A$$ solitaire diamonds on them. :) Thin gold and foil are in the same range. Medium gold and pull tabs and aluminum trash are in the same range. Heavier gold and nickles are in the same range. And if you want to find any chains, they will be very low...back down in that foil range most of the time.

Bottom line is that the best spoils at the beach go to those that dig it all. The Excal gives you an idea how hard you want to work for a target. Like if it's a low growl, you want to work hard. But if it's a higher penny-tone for example, and you're fighting incoming surf and the hole is getting deeper and deeper...I'm probably moving on. But in my opinion, Minelab should redesign the Excal and get rid of that Disc knob. Listen to ALL of it and then dig what experience tells you to. You will get to know bottlecaps pretty much all the time. You will also know quarters, dimes, and pennies. You may get to know those little round plastic juice bottle foil caps too. In time you will know what to dig and what not to dig. But after those first few surprising gold finds that you thought were junk, you'll probably dig it all anyway. :)

Thanks Guys, Mike, I will take onboard your comments and kill the discrimination completely.

Once again, thanks and best of luck.

Mike:beers:;)

Sure, glad to help...and Max is dead-on about the sensitivity too...I keep mine at 11 oclock with the 10" coil and it's very stable. If you had the 8" I would say you could get away with running it "hotter", like maybe 10 oclock. With a 12.5" Sunray or 15" WOT maybe 12 noon to 1 oclock would be needed to tweak it down a little. But definitely forget "Auto" right from the get-go. Exception to that would be a seeded club hunt at the beach maybe, where everything was near the surface. Or perhaps dry sanding it, looking for clad or blanket drops. Also if hunting holes or troughs in the water where there isn't much "sink", Auto can be good to reduce falsing. But for best depth in the wet sand and hard-pack areas go manual for sure, 11 oclock is best.

One other thing: Either no coil cover or VERY thoroughly permatex it on, leaving NO GAPS for salty sand and water to get in. RTV black works well, available at Advance. But beach hunters who use coil covers inevitably have problems with erratic operation because when you have that salty "mush" sloshing around in there it plays havoc on the Excal. It will take a long time to wear through the coil without the cover. DO keep it nearly flat on the ground when swinging but practice keeping about a 1/2" of "air" between the coil and the ground to minimize wear...it's not hard.

You now know everything there is to know about successful hunting with the Excal. Now you just need to get it to a beach where the conditions are right to uncover some targets (which is not HERE, by the way!) or wait for seeding season to come around again. :)

Thanks Guys, I will / have taking on board all of you comments and Mike you are 100% correct about having to get down to the beach as there are no targets here,:)

Hope you all have a great week.

Mike:beers:

Thanks guys, can anyone tell me where I can get CJC's book on beach hunting with the Excal? ........what a great site this is:clapping:

Mike