Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First "Hunt" Today

the_hunt_is_on

If you can call it that...=)

I scanned my in-law's yard today. I found some change and a piece of iron pipe buried vertically. I asked my wife about the pipe but she had no idea. My father in-law said the kids used to play tether-ball from that pole, but it was cut and buried years ago. It was pretty fun. I can't wait to find something cooler. . . and uh, not cemented to the dirt. =)

the hunt is on

I'm not sure, but I may have a problem with my machine. It's a used Silver Sabre Plus. When I switch on the ALL METAL mode, it just goes BEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! FOREVER...regardless of the presence of a target! Now I've never owned a metal detector but that doesn't exactly sound to me like "Silent Search" =)

When I click down to DISC mode it goes BEEP-BEEP-BEEP... and then silent over a target. I also notice that the beeps vary somewhat in proximity to a target.
So the DISC mode is useful, but annoying, and the ALL METAL seems kind of useless.

Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong. I hope someone will let me know!
Thanks!

Just curious as to how high you have the sensitivity set? If it is too high it will cause erratic beeping!

Also, if you don't have the manual, Tesoro has one here:

SILVER SABRE PLUS MANUAL

w

The continuous beep is the threshold in the All Metal mode. Its supposed to do that. Turn the threshold down to just audible(I think the knob is in the back - oops, wrong, after reading through the manual, linked from the post below mine, I see that it is in a recessed trim pot), if you are going to use all metal mode full time. That way you should be able to hear slight changes when passing over a target....useful for hunting for deeper targets, because the target will probably be fairly repeatable, yet faint because of the distance from the target to your coil. Hope this helps a little, and enjoy your new detector. Practice make perfect!!!!

J. Brown

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was trying the sensitivity all over the place just to feel out how it affected things. And I popped open the little plug underneath and twisted the pot inside with a screwdriver and that doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Take it outside, away from any powerlines, and hold it up. Does it beep without anything near the coil?

[quote rentasquid]Take it outside, away from any powerlines, and hold it up. Does it beep without anything near the coil?[/quote]

Still beeping

[quote Gunnar of bradford MN]the bureied pole may mark the spot of deeper treasure, dig down deeper[/quote]

I'd love to, but it's my in-laws' front yard. I already had a tough time convincing them to let me dig down a few inches. I would guess this pole continues at least 1-2 ft or more.

Replaced the coil and it was better. Read my post about the coil under the Noisy Detector post above this.

J.

[quote rentasquid]The continuous beep is the threshold in the All Metal mode. Its supposed to do that. Turn the threshold down to just audible(I think the knob is in the back - oops, wrong, after reading through the manual, linked from the post below mine, I see that it is in a recessed trim pot), if you are going to use all metal mode full time. That way you should be able to hear slight changes when passing over a target....useful for hunting for deeper targets, because the target will probably be fairly repeatable, yet faint because of the distance from the target to your coil. Hope this helps a little, and enjoy your new detector. Practice make perfect!!!!

J. Brown[/quote]

I've been pretty frustrated because the all metal mode isn't working or balancing the way it's been described.
Jiggling the coil connections didn't help so I opened up the control box and I think I found the problem. There are two trim pots for setting the threshold . . . one on the underside behind a plastic plug, the other in the back below the battery compartment. When I got the box open I found that the rear pot is cracked loose from the board, plus the little screw-head part is stripped out. Maybe that's why I got such a sweet deal on this machine. :rage::rofl:
So I'm going to track down a suitable pot to replace this. I foresee a million replies about how I'm voiding the warranty, but the thing is at least 15 years old and I got it for $75, so I'm not too worried. I can get back it together again and even if I don't, I'm impressed enough with the build quality, I already want a nicer newer one. :tesoro::spin:
Anybody else do this repair and end up with an extra pot or nine? I'll be happy to buy it from you.

The Hunt Is On

Hello Hunt,

You may be able to cannibalize a table-top radio receiver or CB radio to get that pot you need.

Both available at yardsales for a buck, when of the same vintage as the MD.

A Junque store would be more expensive...
rmptr