Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First good day out with the C$ - question about nickels...

allhuntedout

Found perfect site to learn on, an old town square in front of a school. Dates from about 1920 or so. They tore it up in the 70's and messed it up, but now they're tearing it up again. I've been hitting it with the CZ and got a little silver, but decided to try to C$ there today.

Basically disc out everything but nickels (also a good tip for learning a new machine), use 525, and this was a good way to hunt. The site if FULL of pennies, and now that almost all the turf is agitated, targets can be dug by kicking the dirt with the side of a shoe, perfect for a hot day.

Two solid +34 hits were a sterling heart pendant on a junk chain and a '54 quarter, both on the surface - beep, look down, pick it up. The rest were all 27-30 range and pennies and dimes. Not much falsing, if it was good it was a coin. Nickels were terrible, though I picked up one. Lots of pulltabs here, I was picking 'em up from the surface just out of habit.

In my airtests the most tabs and nickels all came in at solid +10 readings. Fewer tabs came in at 11 and 12. ALL the nickels I tested were +10. What do you guys do to discriminate the nickel and tab hits? Seems tough to me, and I'm spoiled by the nickel magnet CZ.

Must be lucky in that regard as I dig darn few of them when I'm hunting sites with newer trash. I dig the solid 10's and all the 9-10 bouncers as they are usually nickels. Throw some iron in the mix and the C$ don't know what to call them. It is hard to beat the CZ's on nickels thats for sure.

Tom

:fisher: Jackpine Savage I agree out here were I live tabs bounce 10-11-12 sometimes higher and nickles bounce at 9-10 or hit a solid 10. If it bounces 10-11 or above its normally a tab. I also agree my CZ70Pro is great with nickle ID and seperation.

Take care,

Bill G

I love my coin$trike - but it's one big drawback is nickels - now, I have found lots of nickels with with the coin$trike, but only Jefferson's, no Buffalo or V-nickels - seems like you have to have your machine set up just right and be willing to dig, dig, and dig some more - most nickels I find are in the 8 to 10 range depending on depth, have also found a few with higher readings around 13. The only thing I notch out is "foil". HH - Hawkeye Jim.

Can sometimes be a problem. Fortunately the C$ (and ID Excel) will usually show a broad range of numbers when they are swept from different angles. The only thing that fools most machines, including the Fishers, is if its just the tongue part of the tab. One thing I noticed the other day is the metal bands from lead pencils. They are very hard to distinguish from nickels on most machines but not the ID Excel. It reads them much higher, like in the 12-14+ range whether they are squashed or not. :)

What gets me is the variance in wheat pennys! I dug 10 yesterday with the Excel that were all 1930's thru 1940's and only one was a solid 28. Most of them bounced in the 23-24-25-26 range. I know wheats from the teens and twenties can read low at times but that kind of surprised me.

Tom

My C$ LOVES 'EM! I think what you said in your post is right on though. If you want to find nickels, you really have to have your machine set up right. It also takes some patience! I've said it over and over again, I go looking for nickels and pulltabs. I have trained myself to listen for that low tone. That's where the nickels and gold are. So far this year I've gotten a fair amount of war nickels, buffaloes and I got a "V" on Saturday. I have also been fortunate enough to turn up a fair amount of gold items among the nickels and pulltabs. I'm heading to the beach in a couple weeks....and I'll give you 3 guesses what I'll be listening for ;) :fisher:

which has been few and far between. So if you guys want to find gold, listen to Tony, he knows what he's talking about.

You're absolutely right on Tony - you have to really train yourself to listen for the low tone and I feel each time I use my C$ and I get better at finding nickels - yesterday I didn't have much time to hunt, so I went to the local ball field and out of (25) coins, (6) were nickels, which is a high percentage of nickels for me - but like I advised and I know you & others have said too, you have to be willing to dig all those types of signals to find the goodies, including gold (which still eludes me this year, found alot of rings, but no gold). HH - Hawkeye Jim.

LOL - Ma always said it was better to be lucky than good!!! But it seems like the good hunters who do their homework and are willing to really work with their detector, they "git er DONE". Good luck at the beach - Hawkeye Jim.