Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

first gold with the 705

I was looking at the teknetics 8000 and the xterra 705. I decided on the 705 and I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I like the detector more every time I go out. I needed a machine that would pinpoint right on as I can't dig, I have to pop the items out with my finger and the probe.
as I get some free time I've been hitting the local parks. today was my sixth trip out ( hunting between a hour and a hour and a half each time) been getting about $2 a hour in clad. second trip got two cheap rings, third was another cheap puzzle ring, fourth got one small silver, fifth was another cheap ring and today was a 10k small kids ring looks like a size two or three. showed as a number 8 on the meter. also picked up 12 nickles today, most I've got in a long time. been using dis 2 and opened numbers 6 and 14 to make sure I didn't miss the nickles. having a great time with this detector.
Norm

city doesn't want anyone digging holes. was at the county park and one of the rangers came up and asked if I was digging. showed him all I had was a probe. seems someone has been digging and now their thinking of stopping detecting in the park. seen two guys get tossed out of a school I was hunting when some guy asked if I was the one digging, told him no and he seen the other guys digging and made them leave. too many guys are digging big hole and either not filling them or the grass dies, that's why they don't want digging. it takes me less time to pop out a coin with a probe then dig anyway.

Norm,
your dead right . Ditto - i agree
The same thing is starting to happen here in Australia..
I have been places and spent quite a bit of time fixing up someone elses un- filled detector holes so a blanket ban is not slapped on the site.
A certain % will always do the wrong thing.
Probe recovery is the way of the future in suburban parks.
I have been practising for a year or so and I can often get a coin from 5 inches now
Shallow coins under 2" are quicker than cutting a plug.
In high profile parks the only digging tools that I carry are a probe, hook and long nosed pliers in case anyone asks me how I am recovering the coins.

T59

I agree its happening every were and the guys don't understand why. I can get some pretty deep coins out with the probe. Biggest thing you have to have is a detector that pinpoints good.
I hunted a lake last year that had been lowered and spent over a hour cleaning up after someone else. the guy dug out large chunks of foil (came from the BBQ ). left the 6 to 8 inch hole with a large mound of sand and the foil next to it.
If I don't have the time to clean after myself I don't go.
Norm

Good finds. I know you didn't ask. But if I were to offer any advice, it would be to not use too much discrimination. I've dug a couple small gold rings that read 4 & 6 on the TID. For the most part, I run multiple tones on a wide open screen, with maybe the +48 notched out to reduce the "wrap around" effect of deep iron. Of course discrimination settings all depend on the site I am hunting and how tired I get of digging trash targets common to that area. HH Randy

I know must of the time just too much trash. could spend hours in one small area. lots of cans get hit by the mower. I know I pass over some good stuff, but I also know I pass over more bad. I can only remember one time that I was hunting a fresh water beach with my spectrum and it showed a pull tab, it was a nice 14 k ring with five 1/4 carat diamonds. I use a sovereign for hunting salt water beaches and run it just above iron. the plat and chains I've found came from water hunting and the detector doesn't have a meter. Been hunting for 36 years and this method seems to work the best for the areas I hunt.
norm