Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Finds with my new Explorer II

BoobieinPa

I have only used my ExplorerII 3 times. I dug these in a place where I have used my DFX more times than I can count. I am VERY impressed with it.They all were over 6 inches deep. One thing I learned on this forum was to go real slow. it paid off for me and I want to thank the members for posting such good information.

[attachment 28384 3-ringer.jpg][attachment 28385 1889_IH_Midland_Park.jpg][attachment 28386 unknownsilver1.jpg][attachment 28387 unknownsilver2.jpg]

This is probably the dumbest question ever asked on here but, you mean that you really dig down 18 inches and recover something. I didn't think that even a explorer would go that deep. I am totally in awe of this machine.

Hello.......congratulations on those finds! :clapping: You are well on your way to total satisfaction, and belief about the Explorer. It is an amazing metal detector. You are also right about slowing down, and listening to the sound first, and the meter second. I expect to see some awesome finds from you, on here, in the future! :clapping::thumbup: I think with the right size coil, perhaps the Coiltek WOT, and the right size target, perhaps a gun or a knife, or a cache of coins, the Explorer II would go that deep! In every day ordinary hunting however, I would thing that 12" would be more the outside limit.

What is a Coiltek WOT? I have been using a DFX for a long time, but now I am excited about the MinelabII that I just got.

I am interested in various coils for it. With the amount of coils available I am unsure of which Brand or size would be best.I would appreciate any information about what to purchase.

I live and hunt in Pa. But I do travel a lot in the eastern USA.

I work for various cemeteries, locating lost markers (and repair them into viewing condition)and various possessions lost by visitors (which I do return to those who have lost them). They are from the early 1800's so I do find a lot of lead strips from old monuments. Since I am so uneducated with the machine I think that a different coil might help. Or should I just give it a few months to learn the different tones.

The WOT is a 15" DD coil by CoilTek that weighs almost the same as the standard 10.5" coil from Minelab. It goes 25% to 30% deeper than the standard coil though. Very hot coil, and have had great success with it out here in Colorado and western Kansas, where the soil is fairly heavily mineralized. Dug a very nice breast plate with it at 12". I believe WOT is an acronym for "Weird Orange Thing". The coil is dark orange in color. I am originally from PA, what part of the state do you hunt mostly?

I am in a little town called New Brighton which is next to Beaver Falls. We are about 30 minutes or so north of Pittsburgh PA. This has nothing to do with a Minelab but using my DFX I found a supposedly rare (PHG)C.W. belt buckle in Bradys Run a few years ago.

Now with a Explorer I hope to find more deep stuff. The finds that I posted were from a site that the DFX has been over more often than I could count. I just hope to be able to learn the tones and the various settings that this machine has to offer.
Thank you for reading this.

It is a pleasure to meet you (brother). My addy is 229

This is a fact. I will atest to it. Right now I am waiting to convert my Explorer land detector into a full blown allround hunter. I will be converting it into a water detector, for the beach and surf, lakes and land. Hope to shed its plastic skin and some weight.

It is just a bit smaller than a nickel, and is rather thin. About as thick as a dime.

Nice finds! The feeling to go back to old spots and find coins and relics that the other detectors is always great. Looks like you could be on a role and if I am rihgt, you will be posting more finds than you even realize if you keep going back to that spot. Good Luck and HH.

WTG and congratulations on your nice finds............:) You are going to love your machine and the fun is just beginning for you. I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to more of your neat finds. HH.

Eddie