Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First find with the 14" Excelerator

RussC

I've been dying to get out and try this coil since receiving it a few days ago so I hit my front yard for a few minutes this morning. I didn't expect to find much since my house was built about 14 years ago on an old corn field and I did significant grading for drainage, but as you'll see in the photo, I did make a deep find.

You will also see that I had some trouble with pinpointing with this coil:D but then I realized that I was getting three distinct signals as the coil passed over the object, one lower frequency tone as the edge of the coil passed over the target, a higher pitched tone as the center of the coil passed over, and then another lower pitched tone as the other side of the coil passed over the target. Once I figured this out I was able to narrow my search area significantly and an X pattern to locate the target seemed to work effectively by going on the higher pitched "center" tone.

The found object is a small nail as seen on the blade of the blue trowel. I placed the Lesche in the hole to show how deep it was. The settings on my Explorer II are factory default and I would say that the nail was deeper than the depth readout indicated, although I expected that with the larger coil.

Russ

That is one mighty fine looking nail! You may want to consider getting it professionally graded. :rolleyes:

(As I take cover) :lol:

Hey Mike,

I`m laughing too, beats the alternative.:D

I`m still in the simple awe stage of detecting, I`m pretty impressed that I could detect anything that small at that depth.

Russ

Well, actually, nails are pretty easy because they have a big "halo" or "aura" around them, from the leeching and decomposition of the metal. It's things like deep silver dimes that are tough. But I have no doubt that you have the machine and the coil to sniff 'em out. The key is patience and a slow and methodical sweep. And using the right too for the job. Like that coil would not be the right tool in a playground or trashy spot. But at the beach or in a farm field or the woods it would rock. Bigger coils are better suited for clean ground and targets that are far apart and deep. Smaller coils are better suited for working "target rich" environments and tough ground. How do you find the weight and balance of the whole rig with that coil?

Hi Mike,

I get your point about the halo effect, thanks for mentioning that.

The balance is what I would call good, the coil is heavy enough where it seems to make the arm bracket contact my forearm a little more forcefully yet it doesn`t seem to be too heavy. I have to admit that I may not however be the best judge of user comfort. I`ve got what my doctor says is arthritis in my shoulders so they are always a bit sore, so I just look beyond that if you know what I mean. Grin and bear it.

I`m looking forward to hitting a few beaches and fairgrounds in the next couple of weeks. If I manage to find anything good I`ll be braggin', LOL!

Russ

Just my opinion, but that rig would make anyones shoulder hurt. That is a steering wheel isn't it?

I have arthritis too, and I tend to shy away from that kind of punishment. I truly wish you luck !

Russ, I bought a 14 Inch when they first came out. In fact I had to wait for it to come in. It has done an excellant job and I am very happy with it. The excelerator has some incredible depth. HH and good luck. JimP. Rockford, Illinois