Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Detector

YAKE

I recently retired and would like to start metal detecting. I live in San Diego, CA and plan on doing beach up to knee deep water detecting in addition I RV quite a bit so will be detecting in other areas. I have done quite a bit of research and believe Minelab's Sovereign GT will meet my needs. Do you more experienced detectorist agree? If not what detector do you recommend?
Thank you in advance.
Jerry

I think this will be a good one, however it is not a water detector. If you drop it or it gets hit by a wave it will go. The Minelab Excalibur will be better. You can use it on dry land, it is not strictly a water detector. I call it an all weather detector.
Good Luck.
Eric

The sovereign has the same electronics as the excalibur (at least that was true for the sovereign X2a), so you'll have the same power for mhalf the price. But since it's not a water detector, you will need to protect it somewhat for the salt water (the control box). I used to put the control box wrapped thight in a good plastic bag and was carrying it on a small back-pack who had a small pocket on top. that way i kept it away from the water.
If you use it and find it productive and plan to do it on the long run, then i'd go for the excal and keep the sov as a back up!... just like i did :)

Eventually, you will either get knocked down by a wave in or you will want to know what is a little deeper. The Excal is an amazing water machine and i can't stress enough that you should have a water machine if you are going in the water. I will use my ACE 250 occassionally at the beach just for fun but when it's time for a surf hunt it's Excal, CZ-21 or Surf PI DF for this pirate.
By all accounts the Sov. is an excellent machine for the dry and wet sand but I don't think it's the machine you want to have when you are knee deep in the ocean. Va. Mike uses a Sov. in the wet but even a pro like Mike doesn't venture out deep with the Sov., you can correct me if I'm wrong Mike.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

While the Sov GT is an excellent beach detector you will at some point get it wet either from saltwater spray or a wave will knock you off balance. The Excal II is the detector of choice since it has good discrimination to stop you from doing any unnecessary digging and it is very deep. Many say the use of a Pulse Induction is the one for the saltwater beach because of it's deep depth, but it doesn't help if you are wasting time digging deep bobby pins that give a good signal.