Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Detector:surrender:

harryape

I am not completely new to metal detecting but have never owned one. There are so many choices out there and I hope to get a few recommendations on what I should consider in the way of a metal detector that meets my needs.

Firstly I will be coin and jewelry hunting on vacant homesites, playgrounds, Parks and the beach at Lake Tahoe. I live in N. California. I would like a detector that has a digital display, descrimination and sensitivity adjustments, ID. pinpoint accuracy and a headphone jack. Lastly I would like to keep the price under $250.

I have been considering the Bounty Hunter series, the Titan and MD series through Kellyco, the Garrett Ace 250, the Fisher F2 and F4, Tesoro Silver Umax, and the minelab X-terra 30. I know this is a long list but it took me a few days just to filter out all of the other detectors.

I might have thrown out a detector that might actually be better for me, so thats why I have posted this question on this Forum.

I do not intend to start a match between the owners of the many different brands of metal detector. I know some readers will take it as mine is better than yours. However, I just want to know which detector you would recommend so that I can take a closer look and then purchase the right detector for me. You have the experience and can save me from the pitfalls and disappointment of purchasing a detector I will not be happy with.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Alvin

alvin , I dont think you will find too many here saying mine is better and so forth, most of what ive seen on this site is that everyone is supportive of the hobbey and as one very wise poster put it quite simpley<( its not the detector or even the price paid for the detector that decides how good the particular detector is) its the one who is operating the thing, how long they take to read the manuel, and practice with it ,and so forth. That being said ill tell you about my take on the titan 2000 that ive been using since feb. ive been pretty happy with the performance, it finds nickels really well, wich i understand is rair for some detectors has a good debth about 7 to 9 inches for coins so far (with the 10 inch coil) ive found 4 rings and many many clad coins, and the deeper silver ones too, it will sometimes do a solid hit on a coin, and be somthing else , but 95 percent of the time when it says its a coin then by harrey it is! and as i said im fairley new to this passion (feb. of this year) my 2 little ones love going out with me so thats a bonus. also i would say read all the posts you can on this site, there is a wealth of info here plus some veteran hunters that will freely share their wisdom, i cant say enough about them! good hunting! scott charp

The Bounty Hunters are excellent discriminating machines, and Bounty Hunter's Customer support is second to none...Tesoro has a Lifetime guarantee, and some of the most deep seeking machines out there...Minelabs and Whites have a huge learning curve...Garrett Ace 250 is a great machine unless you live in an area that has highly mineralized soil, then it will drive you nutz because it has a preset ground balance that is no good in heavy minerals...No one can tell you what detector is best for you...it is a personal preference...Depends on what your hunting for, your wallet size, and your commitment to learn the machine...
If you have a dealer near you that carries all the major brands and models, by all means, pay them a visit and test each machine...you will find the one your most comfortable with...

HH,

BH-LandStar

Thank you for the info. I live in N. California and do believe that the soil here is heavily mineralized. What Bounty Hunter would you recommend? From the Garrett add it looked like it was capable of adjusting for mineralization. Glad you pointed out that it does not work in my type of soil.

Alvin

I think if your in highly mineralized soil, you want something with a manual ground balance...like the Bounty Hunter Land Star,Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Minelab X-Tera 70, or White's Prizm V ... The Tesoro has the best (Lifetime) warranty and the Bounty Hunter has a 5 year warranty and great customer service.

HH,

BH-LandStar

from your list the silver would be best, and handles bad ground well, and the f2 is suppose to handle minerals better than some

Quest from the Noobsauce LandStar user... I did about 15 items today with Sens: 12:00 Disc: 9:00 GB: 100% CW Items repeat and show from Zinc to .50... Pull out IRON, IRON, IRON.. scan it on the ground... it reads IRON... WTH?? Do I need to GB manually and adjust for the ground or am I doing something else wrong?

FooserPaul

Noobsauce said:
Items repeat and show from Zinc to .50... Pull out IRON, IRON, IRON.. scan it on the ground... it reads IRON... WTH?? Do I need to GB manually and adjust for the ground or am I doing something else wrong?
Usually large pieces of iron (larger tha a nail ) will give false readings because of the mineralization (halo)
arround it....and from what Ive heard not just B-H machines

And welcome and HH
Harryape

Yuppers...I have had large aluminum cans register as .50 or even $1 on the LandStar...Large iron pieces usually come in at around .50 also...When I see .50 or higher come up, I usually take it that I am gonna be digging something big that is iron or aluminum...

HH,

BH-LandStar