Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Detector AT PRO or AT GOLD???

rugbyman187

I am looking for my first civilian metal detector. i have been looking at the Whites MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, and AT Gold. I want something easy to use, detects gold, relics, coins, other cool things one can find, on land and water(submersible). What are your thoughts? There are years and years of experience on here and I would like to tap it. Thanks for any help and information you can provide.

Unless you are specifically going prospecting for nuggets, get the AT Pro. Just be prepared for a mild learning curve. We all dig a lot of trash....we just don't usually post it. :)

Can you still prospect for nuggets and gold with the AT Pro? I want to have all options, maybe gold prospect before setting up sluice box kind of thing.

Yes you can....it operates at 15kHz, the same frequency as the Garrett Scorpion, which is a gold prospecting detector.

I would go with the AT-Gold, Easy to use & can be used for coin shooting also! Goes up to 10' underwater. It has great depth, and swing speed is very fast.

richrider99 said:
I would go with the AT-Gold, Easy to use & can be used for coin shooting also! Goes up to 10' underwater. It has great depth, and swing speed is very fast.

Thanks for the information. Now I'm stuck betwren the AT gold and PRO again.

I bought the AT Gold because it has deep seeking all metal mode, AT Pro does not have this. AT Gold also has a threshold volume, the AT Pro does not...AT Gold will hit coins at a good depth
I have hit coins at 8 inches with the AT Gold. Have hunted sand bars at the colorado river and have found silver and gold rings, thin gold chain. the AT Pro will hit thin chains also.And the final reason
I bought the AT Gold was there have been very few problems with the AT Gold compaired to the AT Pro ... the deep seeking all metal mode is what you want for prospecting...

I was stuck between the AT Pro and AT Gold as well when I was ready to by one. I had to wait another month before the AT Gold even came out to get it though, the AT Pro with the latest serial number was already out at that time.

I chose the AT Pro and I am glad I did. I dug an old rusty carpet tac up at 10", a hot wheels toy at 11" (how it got that deep, I can't say), coins from 3"- 7", and a couple of larger old rusty steel plates that were around 3"W X 5"L (from an old railroad) well below 12" (closer to 14") as the digger I use is 12" long and I was well above the handle in those holes.

My deepest and smallest find to date was the old 1/4"L x 1/8"W carpet tac at 10". My friend and I had to really look through the soil to find it as I didn't have my Pin Pointer at that time.

I just made a (very rough video) on how well the AT Pro can see things through high mineral objects (like a river bed rock) with a Canadian nickel. That rock was big and heavy (which the video doesn't do much justice) and the AT Pro still picked that nickel up under it. The rock was about 7" wide and by about 12" long and weighed about 35 to 40 lbs.

Here is the link if your interested, you need to turn your volume up to here all of it. I'm still learning the video stuff so please look past all the faults and just look at how well the AT Pro performs in a high mineral area if you choose to view it. I did the test a couple of times just to show that their was nothing else influencing the test but the nickel itself.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyvDXogMmcM

:)

NC

Hello folks, my first post, been lurking here for a short time.
I have had an eye on the AT Gold myself, I'm not interested in coins unless they are rare or gold, because I live in Alaska I want a tool to assist me in possibly finding small gold nuggets. I have several known rivers nearby that are known to produce gold, not much, not very often but its there. The AT Gold looks like a good device for the price, and it being weather resistant is a big advantage. I may be buying one any day now even though I personally have 4' of snow on my property, spring will eventually come, You guys in the warmer climates are lucky.

rugbyman187 said:
I am looking for my first civilian metal detector. i have been looking at the Whites MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, and AT Gold. I want something easy to use, detects gold, relics, coins, other cool things one can find, on land and water(submersible). What are your thoughts? There are years and years of experience on here and I would like to tap it. Thanks for any help and information you can provide.

No doubt go with the Gold. Its not sensitive to lower conductors because of frequency and true all metal mode. Feel free to give me a call with questions or a great deal!