Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Day Observations

StevenJayne

Today we took our detectors, a Safari (mine) and a BH 505 (Jayne's) out for the first time. We went to a CCC camp that was occupied by workers in the 1930's and has been a boy scout camp since the 1950's. I had read the manual and some posts as to how to use the Safari, so I felt fairly confident I could make it work for me. I did the noise cancel with the coil 12" above the ground and started sweeping. Initially, we started searching in an area where there are many old concrete foundations where the CCC buildings had been located. I was a bit dismayed at all the sounds the Safari was making, because it was making a lot of sounds at almost every sweep, and I could not tell what it was doing. I eventually moved to an area that was away from the foundations and was just an open field with large trees. The Safari quieted down and it was easier to listen to the sounds that it was making. I learned very quickly how to listen for the "null" and the different sounds that indicate the various metals. Within an hour or so, we found 2 quarters, 3 pennies, a bullet and several blobs of lead that had been melted for who knows what reason. We also found several metal pieces that were left over from the deconstruction of the old CCC buildings. I would rate this area as "super trashy" because of the immense amount of iron and lead laying around. I was thrilled to be able to find coins in the midst of all the trash, and I think the Safari is a wonderful detector. In the cleaner areas, I found myself using the All Metal mode and used the sound / display to help me decide what to dig. All in all, it was a great afternoon and I think the Safari is a fine instrument.

I always do the noise cancel with the coil on the ground in a spot where there are no signals. Am I doing it wrong? There was a number of posts debating same but I cannot remember were it is. Maybe it doesn't matter since you seem to be doing so well? Onus

Well, I read the posts too, long before I first used my Safari and I decided to follow the book. It makes sense to me to do the noise cancel with the coil above the ground because it is canceling out electromagnetic noise from the environment, power lines and the like. If you place the coil on the ground you will be sort of "grounding" the coil and hiding it from the ambient noise. I am willing to be wrong, but I don't think the folks at Minelab goofed the manual! Steve