Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finds From Mondays Trip

DJR

Here is my finds from Mondays few hours of detecting a local ball park. I was highly impressed as the total area I detected was not even close to 1/8 acre and this place is being worked over by another detectorist!

I detected along the front of a concession stand and one side of it, then moved to one of the ball field dugouts peripheries, and along some adjacent parking spaces, then back along a side walk to the concession. I also hit around a very old cut tree stump and found 1 of the quarters, a dime, and 2 pennies. So I guess I will be hunting ALL trees in the park as well.

Notice the very bad shape of the pennies. These pennies sure don't like the soils here in Fl. as most of them have sever corrosion on their edges. Most of them are 1980 in age on up.

Question for the experts who have been using the ACE250. I had TONS of the nickle hits and I just refused to dig them because I am sure most were trash but...way to many. I understand that I should but the park guys would not like me too much if I did even as well as I dig and cover my holes it would definately show with that many! I understand that is where most of the gold rings tone in on. My wedding band chimes it very well. How is one to know for sure without digging every nickle tone? I know I probably may have passed up a ring or two. How can I know if it is a nickle, ring, or other?

I am finding that the pull tops are not my enemy in the parks but the little gum wrapper pieces, Hershey kiss wrapper pieces, and the lids from those peel off drink tops! :veryangry:

Don

n/t

Digging is the only way...BUT, do you use a probe?? Something like a welding rod or other such instrument will let you poke into the ground and really find the exact spot your target lies. This will allow you to dig a hole barely big enough to stick two fingers into to retrieve your target. Even the crankiest park worker wont see your plug spot from five feet away. A cheap, garage=sale hunting knife works great to dig a small hole in grass.
When the grass is wet it will re-establish and re-root quickly but try not to dig small plugs during the heat of summer as the grass really suffers.

You need to use a probe to locate your targets and learn how to pop them out of the ground with a big screwdriver. There are many ways to retrieve coins and such without digging holes. I've been tecting 44 years and never dig holes. The archives in this forum list several ways other than digging.

Bill

the answer is no you cant tell. the best way is probe & pop or another way is to make a cut in the grass above the signal spread the cut open then using a pin pointer locate the target in the ground & pop it out.