Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding Meteorites

Buddy555

Greetings Fellow Searchers:

My name is Bill and I have been occasionally coin shooting since the early '70's. I have used Whites and Fishers. Now that I am older and hopefully wiser, I'd like to become a Meteor Man. Who has any knowledge or experience with the subject and can suggest the best device for the money to locate them?

Thanks,
Bill

You have evidently been watching meteor men.

Seems like most of the meteorites they find aren't real deep, unless they are the real big ones. I would say that any stable machine in all metal mode would work just fine. They seem to hunt with the Fisher's.

Now to finding meteorites. Better than gold, that's for sure, but much much harder to find. I did a search on " Missouri Meteorites " and found a good site on this State plus many other sites. Do that kind of a search on your own State or whatever. Just maybe search "find meteorites sites" and see what happens. Whatever you come up with you can be sure that others have also done that kind of a search and found those sites and maybe even visited the sites. I would be willing to bet that any known meteorite site will be well posted and you will probably find a very irate owner of the property if he catches you there.

There are many meteorites striking the Earth daily. I know that up and down at the polar caps they are found because they lay on the ice. Most meteorites would logically fall into the ocean since there is more water than land. I would think that although they fall randomly, over a long time period they would fall everywhere on Earth. Look at the craters on the moon? That alone should tell you of the large amount of meteorites in the universe, but then again the moon has no atmosphere, our atmosphere burns many to vapor, although the larger ones do fall to Earth.

Those "Meteorite Men" have their own TV show, production staff; sponsors, etc. so they can get into areas that you and I would be coldly told "no", they strike deals with landowners etc. to get on the property. Also, simply entering one's property with a full production staff, cameras, etc. leads some credence to their credibility.

They are out there, but finding them is going to be really difficult.

stick to coin shooing as every thing on tv is fake.set up in advance to appear like its real.best thing to do is turn it off and spend both your time and money more wisely.why do ya think its been named the idiot box?trust me after its off ya won't miss it at all-ya can spend time tending to things that matter like family,home/auto maintenance,preparing for the future,etc.in case you've not been in the real world -its a mess and getting worst by the day.

Any decent metal detector in all metal mode will suffice. Deserts are likely candidates since they are barren (no construction) and have been around forever to catch a millenia of meteorites falling from the skies. However.....everybody and their mothers are on the meteorite kick these days. Especially since that show came out.

Finding my 1st gold nugget with a gold detector was tough enough for me. The fellas I was going with me gave up after a few trips but I kept at it and finally starting finding some. I put some hours into it at first but then tapered off to a few trips a year. Wasn't easy and gold nuggets are more abundant than meteorite's.
I'd like to meteorite hunt but figure if I ever do, I'd have to expect many dry unproductive hours. That's just the nature of it they way I see compared to gold nugget hunting.
I noticed the airing last night "Meteor Men", the F-75 (which I have) was used. They are into it though and have the area/permission/resource/planning etc. I also figure, just like fishing shows - how many hours are put in to get a 1 hour edited skit.
Still - I would really like to give it a go sometime. Just don't know enough about it and I would like to be near a known somewhat productive area. Maybe someday - maybe not.

well id like to know how you doo.....:thumbup:
goodluck:detecting:
hh
john

Luckily, those little visitors don't come down very often, otherwise we'd all have holes in our roofs. However, after billions of years, we should be walking on 'em. Like gold, creeks and rivers should concentrate them. I wonder about those large ones found by Meteor Men. You'd think they'd be MUCH deeper, wouldn't you? And those, didn't look all that toasty, like just plain old rocks. But there I go thinking conspiracy again. :shrug:

I use my Garrett 1350
but the only (small) one i found was visual - laying on top of the ground in AZ.
I was eating a sandwich at the truck and looked across the road an saw a black shaped rock in all the Blondie sand and rocks
approx 2.5 grams not much - so i back to coin shooting - a lot more fun for me
good luck