Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding Furry Treasure :thumbup:

SeniorSeeker

My doctor felt I would benefit by having a 'Hearing Service Dog', so I contacted 'Paws w/a Cause' and filled out their questionnaire. They responded telling me I didn't qualify simply because my last hearing check was less than a year ago. So I contacted my doctor and discussed the results and suggested we fill out paperwork for an ESA referred to an Emotional Service Animal. I suggested I look for an animal that meet the ideas and or requirements of a service dog. I began looking for Labrador Retrievers and eventually branched off to other breeds. It's amazing how many hundreds of animals are in Rescues across the State of Michigan but not one of them met the requirements. Either they had a mistrust or hatred toward other dogs or cats or even little children.

I shared all this and more with the director of the Kent County Animal Shelter. She set me up with ladies there to keep an eye out for me knowing what it takes to be a service dog. Well ... last Tuesday afternoon, I got a call from one of the ladies telling me they had a West Highland Terrier that would come available first then Wednesday morning. So I jumped on the city bus and headed over to the animal shelter. They placed me in a room with a dog they called Toby. Other than marking the room a few times during our interview, he appeared to have all the qualities needed to become what I wanted. They thought that being fixed would curb most of his desire to mark his territory. For the most part it did.

Friday night, after his surgery, they dropped him off to my apartment complex and gave me a brand new wire kennel too boot. Wow! It's been four days now but he's beginning to listen. For those of you who do not know, the terrier breeds have a mind of their own and make every effort to demonstrate that ability. But ...... I decided, from day one, I would be the pack leader and that's that. It's working. With a lot of patience and love, Sparky will do just fine. After he's trained, I'll return to my doctor and demonstrate his ability to follow directions and apply for a Service Dog application. Doc agrees and we're on our way. Sometimes what we find is furry and fun :tongue:

....A good furry treasure is sent to us from God....think about it....a pet loves us with no strings attached....most will sacrifice their life to protect us....they huddle with us when we are sad or upset about something...the pet can sense when something is wrong and will sit in our lap and give us loving!! Not many animals can do this....they are a BLESSING FROM GOD!!

Glad for you.

Congrats, Martin, on finding a furry friend who will help take care of you! My sister has a Chihuahua and she is always saying, who trains who? Poppy is spoiled rotten but does mind her when they are both out traveling! He will be company for you and I know you will take good care of him...they become like our own children! I used to have a pet but since he passed away in 1997 and it hurt so bad to lose my deaf-long-haired white Persian cat, Tony, I just didn't want another and now I am too ill to take care of a pet, as I can hardly do that for myself! Good luck and God Bless....Maybe he will dig up the gold for you, if and when you going :detecting: LOL! If nothing else, he will be your protector along with Jesus! Amen! :angel: Ma