Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally jumped in and awaiting my GT

dcr

After a lot of lurking and years of dinking around with some old, cheap detectors, I finally gave in and ordered a new GT. When it arrives, early next week, I will probably become the new official pest.

That's good to hear, considering I've heard so many conflicting stories. You know the drill: Sov hates iron - Sov is a fantastic relic detector. Notch for this, Disc for that - Run it all metal. Do what so-and-so says - So-and-so doesn't know what he's talking about.

That's what made me take so long to get back into it, until I finally decided that at least I'll be out in the fresh air, if for no other reason than to look like an idiot swinging a stick! No offense intended...

Try anything that won't cost you anything but time.
Experiment to see what will or won't work.
Try to figure things out for yourself.

It's not just detectors. On forums for other things you will get the same kind of conflicting advice.

Take your time and learn.

HH

The Sovereign is just very easy to operate depth and discrimination.I use to be a big CZ fan.The Sovereign just keeps getting better.This photo is from an hours hunt today 1894 Indian Head,1944S Mercury and a 1911 Penny.The next day hunt included 6 more wheat pennies the oldest a 1909 and 1920.

The dealer that (for some unknown reason) many love to hate - Kellyco. But let me tell you a story about my dealings with their customer service people...

The day that my order shipped, they had a computer problem. As all of us know, it happens. Because of their computer crash, I did not get the customary email with my tracking number. When I inquired, I began getting emails and phone calls from their customer service people, attempting to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

It may not sound like a big deal to some of you, but I have a rather high dollar piece of furniture that is floating somewhere between here and Florida that I ordered from a furniture dealer. I say floating because the dealer can't tell me where it is, when it will be here, and can't tell me what shipping company that they used. The kicker is that they aren't in any hurry to find out. If it doesn't show up i a couple of weeks, they will look into it.

Compare that to Kellyco, who made huge personal efforts to get me the tracking information, when it really isn't due to get to me until this coming Monday.

Customer service is sometimes about big things, but more often, it is about taking care of the little things. So far, Kellyco scores big points with me!

The reason I asked about the dealer was because some are more knowledgeable than others when it comes to helping learn the Sovereign. You made a wise decision when you ordered the GT. If, I could only have one detector (that would make my wife happy) it would be my GT. I use it more than the others. It's very easy to use, and, with practice, you will come to understand what it's telling you and you will have a lot of confidence in the field, where it counts.

Hey,

Since dcr hasn't posted back as to how he is doing, I will take his place.

I agonized for months before deciding on a Sovereign GT. I got one on August 16th. I've put about 5 hours on it so far.

When I turned it on the first time, I started looking over my shoulder for the UFO's. Then I realized it was the GT. What a bizarre sound!

I went to my favorite place and commenced to scanning. All of a sudden I thought I was in England and the police were coming down the road. Then I realized it was the GT. I dug up a big piece of junk (don't remember what it was).

I continued to scan. All of a sudden , I heard a Beluga whale in heat. Then I realized it was the GT. I dug up a beautiful 2000 Lincoln cent. My first coin with the GT!

So, I have some questions:

Is it just me, or does Pinpoint mode seem to have no effect on anything?

I have read that if you hit a target that then nulls when you go back over it, it is ferrous. Is this true?

When the signal changes tone, what the heck is going on?

What settings do you mavens recommend for relic/cache hunting?

That's all the questions for now, thanks.

Pinpoint is an all metal mode with ground tracking disabled. You must switch to all metal mode for it to work.

When the Sov sounds off on the first pass, then nulls out on additional passes, then it is usually iron. The Sov sometimes needs a second look to determine just what something is.

Signal changes tone because the Sov has seen something of different conductivity in disc mode. In all metal, the stronger the signal, the more it changes tone.

For relic hunting you may want to dig everything if you want iron stuff too. You could use all metal mode.If you want everything but iron then use disc mode with the disc control at minimum.

For cache, dig anything that has a deep, wide feel in either disc or all metal. Something that feels much bigger than a nail. A cache can be in a ferrous container. You could get any kind of tone response in disc.
You will dig a lot of deep large junk too.

HH

Art,

Thanks for the response.

Pinpoint did not seem to do much in any mode, I'll have to try again.

When you say:

"Signal changes tone because the Sov has seen something of different conductivity in disc mode."

I'm wondering if you can tell by the change in tone what the new target is. Sometimes the tone goes up, sometimes down.

You aint kiddin' when you say I will dig deep large junk, I got a strong signal, half hour later I was expecting to see a Chinaman pop his head up through the hole. I unearthed a 12" diameter wash basin.

Another question, what sweep speed is appropriate? How many seconds fro m start of sweep to end?

Thanks, again,

joe

You can have a pretty good guess at what is there by the response in both tone and width once you get used to it.

Most of the time sweep about 1 ft per second. Heavy trash, go slower. Also go slower for the weakest small objects.

You can move up to 2 ft/sec or so if the area is clean and you are looking for medium to shallow depth objects.

Ever watch anyone swing an XLT??? Don't try it with a Sov.

HH

I was amazed that the GT was not at all a difficult beast to use. Yes, the tones will take some time to fully understand, but it sets up easily and really finds the stuff! Just added an S-1 probe and digging is really easy. The only thing that I'm not used to is the meter. It isn't terrible stable, and climbs and falls so fast the it's hard to catch the numbers as they streak by.

Got lucky and found a great deal on an SE with a probe, so I'll be comparing them when the SE arrive next week end.

The meter does that because it constantly displays the ID of what it's looking at. As you approach or pull away from a target, the Sov sees a different conductivity than it does when directly over it.

A tight wiggle directly over the target will give you the best ID.

HH