Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally got to try my new MXT (couple of questions)

markl59

I went to an athletic field, hoping to find a ring like I alway's see posted here, I dug a bunch of pull tabs square and round and foil at o to +2 I noticed the round tabs usally come in at around 32 and the square around 22, a nickel comes in at 18, in my soil anyway in Indiana. I did manage about $4.00 in clad. I used to own an XLT, I know the MXT does not average readings, but can you guys or girls give me some tips on to how to interpret the readings I know a ring will not come in consistent on a certain vdi, but I was getting a ton of foil signals dug a few they all came up foil. I own all of the coils for the MXT, so if a different coil will help I can try that too. The other question is the ground balance am I supposed to pump the coil up and down and wait for a beep or something. or turn it on a go detecting.

Most the rings i've found are VDI 00(class ring that wasn't gold or silver) to 32 and 55 to 85. vdi 12 to 15 is hot for small gold rings.

If the foil is not wadded up and its small when you pinpoint it will have a flaky presence and show deeper than it is. If it is wadded up and has that has a smooth sound and strong pinpoint then it could be a thin gold ring. You just have to dig, its part of the game. My nice diamond ring comes in at 12. Had I not been diggin low nickle that day I would have never found it. Scrap value could pay for the machine. The MXT does a great job on kicking out nails and still seeing gold but the iron can lower the numbers if it in near by. I was in a ton of square tabs today,vdi showed lots of small iron hits, with the 4.5x7 and a smooth 00 turned out to be a buffalo nickle then a mixed reading with 80's turned out to be a 65 quater right next to a v shaped piece of cyclone fence. Dig it?

Mickel

Hi:

Pump the coil until the threashold stabilizes. You won't hear a "Beep" as associated with the auto ground balance models such as the 6000, XLT, DFX, etc. If you are in a trashy area using discrimination then you have basically two choices as far as coils are concerned. You can either us a smaller coil (8", 5", DD shooter) or use the stock coil and keep it a few inches off of the ground (my preference. When hunting in heavy trash, depth is not your objective so don't worry about depth loss. Target separation is the key under those conditions. Of course you should always refer to the first rule of metal detecting: When in doubt, dig it out! Hope this helps.

Keep your coil to the soil!

... will VDI from 10 to 20, with the majority from 12 to 16. ALWAYS dig those targets, with discrimination set at no more then foil. Doing so will start those rings to appear! Hope this helps; HH Jim

All of my gold rings have been solid 6 or 8 VDI, but I've only found small women's rings so far. Just for reference, my nickles ring in at 18-20.

I have cut pasted and printed all of the responses thanks again. I got out to an old Boy Scout camp for about an hour yesterday I did not find any rings but did find this. not much but I am getting to learn the MXT. I found if I turn the sensitivity up to +1 or +2 its a little noisy but goes deeper, I will try to post other finds as I find them.