Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally got the old detector out again......

Dan-MO

For the first time since my surgery this past spring.A friend called me and told me he had lost a large iron pin off his Cat while doing some land clearing in a small area in town,he asked if I would try to find it for him.This was about a week ago when the temp was over 100 outside.

I agreed to try and late that evening found me in the area-I figured it would be fairly easy to find-UNTIL I started swinging the coil and found that the area he lost it in must have been a scrap yard at one time! There most have been hundreds of pounds of scrap steel pipe,busted up cast iron and other metal objects just a foot or less under the earth.

After about an hour of digging it I was drenched in sweat and had all I could take.I never did find the pin but did find this old fire axe with part of the handle still attached.I was very rusty but not pitted as bad as you would think. I have spent the last week cleaning it up-first by a good soaking with WD40 followed by a wire wheel and then a belt sander.It actually cleaned up pretty well.

Over the years I have found many old axe and hatchet heads usuaslly at old farm and cabin sites.The firemans axe is a first and it was found in the middle of town.

I have been back a couple more times and still habven't found the pin or anything else of interest-it has just been too dang hot to stay with it for long.

This has certainly served to rekindle my interest in detecting and proves again that you never know what you will dig next!I hope to hit it a lot harder this fall and winter than I have been able to do for the last couple of years.

might have fell off a fire truck years ago while responding to a call, most are held in place on the truck by gravity. Nice find though.

I just find something else to do, like...replace the wax ring under the toilet. Now THAT's something to do! :lol:

I never found a fireman's ax before, but like you, I've found a few hatchets and regular ax heads. One, the last one, I found at my paternal grandfather's old house, probably 15 years ago.

Maybe this fall I'll get back in the mood. Oh! But wait! I just remembered, there's hunting season beginning 1 October. :biggrin:

aj

I don't bother going out much in the heat. Just too uncomfortable for this ole' sissy. Another couple of months though:biggrin:

n/t

but have never cleaned any up. They just seem too nice to throw away but most are in rough shape