Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally a silver coin

steve in so la

Today I dug 32 coins and finally got a silver quarter. It's a standing liberty but is so roughed up I cannot tell the year. Frequently, they run in the 1920 to 1930 range. Also dug 2 buttons, a stick pin and most notably 7 nickels. People before me are running their machines at high disc & are missing them.

2lj46bn.jpg

I have taken a ton of coins out of this park and this is the first silver. Fortunately, I lucked out on 3 gold items here in the past.
I guess this silver is destined for the melt pot.
2di4zdj.jpg

Steve in so la

SLQ's are hard to come by. Congrats Steve. :clapping:

Too bad the quarter is a no date. Those are hard to find with a date anywhere. Glad you did find some silver. Those people that don't dig the nickels are missing some goodies.

n/t

Congrats Steve on the silver! I am going detecting tomorrow with a friend from church! I am so excited because we will hunt the majority of the day! My Hubby is happy too cause he doesn't have to go! Lol! Not sure about getting pics on here. Have had suggestions about using my phone...but I usually just use my phone for talking and texting. Anyway, Happy Hunting everyone! Tracy

Howdy Steve--

Congratulations on your finds - especially your Liberty Standing Quarter! That is one of my favorite coins. A design flaw on the earlier coins of that series (1916-1924), was that the date was raised and consequently received the brunt of wear. It was corrected in 1925 and that's why most of the LSQ's that we dig, with clear dates, are between 1925 and 1930. Good finds! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Steve,

It's a good idea to check the reverse of all dateless LSQ's. If there are no stars beneath the eagle, that indicates that it is a type 1. The type one LSQ's were either 1916 (very rare) or the common type 1 1917. There are diagnostics that can identify the rare 1916 and even a dateless one can fetch $1,000. The main identifiers of the 1916 are:

Weak stars beneath the "W" in we.
The drapery near Liberty's foot
The olive branch in Liberty's hand

Here is a link to a 1916:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/standing-liberty-quarters/quarters-and-twenty-cents/1916-25c-ms64-full-head-pcgs/a/1256-3631.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

And here is a link to a 1917 Type 1:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/standing-liberty-quarters/quarters-and-twenty-cents/1917-25c-type-one-ms66-full-head-pcgs/a/1256-3448.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Congrats Steve! I've found several old quarters over the years roughed up like your find there but none of mine were that old I'm sure. Nice find.