Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fill holes

Moe (FL)

We were in Myrtle Beach SC last week and had the chance to try my new Whites BHID. Hunting on the beach was relaxing and people were very friendly. Several folks asked me about detecting and wished me luck.

The first couple of days I only saw 1 or 2 other detectorists but on my last day I saw 7 or more. I always make an effort to fill my holes and cause the minimum disruption. I pick up all the trash I dig and dispose of it later. One thing that surprised me was that some fellow detectorists were not filling their holes on the beach (near the surf). Several of the holes left looked like big craters. In a few instances I refilled them myself because did not want people nearby to think that I was leaving them.

My point is to remind all fellow treasure hunters to please fill your holes. I know that it takes a bit more time but it makes a much better impression with the general public. This way our hobby will be allowed to continue for many years.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Moe

what really irks me is the craters that beach goers dig for themselves and the kids.....you can fit a Volkswagen Beetle in them. And they are left wide open for someone to fall into and break their necks. And then people complain about 1 scoopful of sand put out of place by a detectorist.......something don't add up here.

holes have to be filled period. Just like wearing a seat belt it should be an automatic reaction.
Why? #1 We dig 30 and more and cannot alway be seen by joggers/walkers like one or two big craters.
And if they are partially in the surf the the water will wash the pile away leaving only a depression filled with water.
As well someone comming from the blanket line might not expect a perfect size foot twisting hole to be there.
Remember it wouldnt take much to pass legislation to allow only say five holes to be dug on any beach by any one person.
Especially if enough or the right people complain.
There isnt enough of us to stop some kind of law that inhibits digging.
Oh yea..Shure you can detect. Just dont dig more then five holes.
FILL THEM HOLES.

My family went to a fresh water beach. My son dug a hole about 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. He wanted to hit water and he did. I made him fill it back when we left. But like Bobbie stated there were maybe 20 abandoned holes much larger than his that I could see from my spot.
I got permission to hunt the beach during the hours it's closed and was asked to fill my holes. I said I always do. I asked what happens to those craters that people leave open. He said nothing. Go figure.

[size=small]Fill holes. Period. You made 'em, so you unmake them. Ditto for removing trash, being a good neighbor and picking up your nasty underwear. Youre an adult and should have have left your momma behind a long time ago.

But, let's get even more personal.

Metal detecting is a priveledge you enjoy by common agreement of your fellow citizens, it is NOT a right. So for the moment, to heck with me or the other's who also enjoy the hobby - or merely watch from the sidelines. Just pay heed to the following:

There are plenty of nosy-busybodies who are sure they know what's best for all of us. Whether they actually practice what they preach is not the issue. What IS important is that they are just itching for a chance to spring upon someone else whom they think needs controlling. Tobacco users, the obese and pet owners are just a few of the folk they have targeted. Hole diggin' detectorists could easily be their next target.

If YOU want to be screwed out of the priveledge to metal detect as you choose, keep on being a funky slob-ass. It WILL happen.[/size]