Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Field Tested SEF 10x12 :minelab:

D Wes

I installed the SEF 10x12 on my Sovereign, Original model with the Iron mask switch.Using a Whites XLT shaft with control box mounted at end.The Balance is very good and was not hard to swing all day.
My first test was in my yard, if it could do well here, then I had a winner for sure. Heavily infested with Iron but very little trash,
My first hunt in the back yard and front was very disappointing, The coil seemed to have a erotic sound and behavior. After a cup of coffee I had a plan to change some settings.
With the 8 inch Coin Search Coil, switching the Iron mask switch on or off didn't make much difference that I could notice with a lot of testing in the field. I had the Iron Mask set to on
and the sensitivity at 11 o'clock on my first run. Second attempt was with the Iron mask off and sensitivity at 1 o'clock. Now I was getting some where and noticed a smooth and stable coil.
Switching back and forth the Iron mask switch, I cold easily notice a difference in the behavior of the coil, I was amazed of this out come. Hard to believe the difference it made.
With the Iron Mask on it was like adding a Boost that made the coil to sensitive and unstable, It took a few hours to get comfortable with the SEF and it didn't take long to see how well
it would perform in my yard. Three Wheaties in the back yard and one V-Nickel in the front, and some iron junk. The coins were repeatable in both directions.
Wow I was starting to like this coil, pin pointing was as easy and dead on as the 8 inch Coin Search Coil, but really a little better.
Next stop was one of my favorite old homes that my friend and I have recovered many nice coins at the max limit of depth with the Coin Search coil. The ground conditions were
perfect and digging was easy and all was going well, The settings I used were Sensitivity set to 1 o'clock and Iron mask mode off. No Discrimination used.
# Now I learned I could use the Iron mask mode to check iffy signals, this worked out really well and I am liking this coil allot. Signals that I believed were shallow, say 2 to 2-1/2 inches,
turned out to be Wheaties at 5 inches. The SEF was very stable and smooth but yet still gave you the feeling of a muscle car. What I was really impressed with was the Thresh Hold.
I am not sure how this is with a bigger coil, but the SEF gave me a lot less nulling and smoother thresh hold at this site than the 8 inch Coin Search Coil.
When I recovered a nice 1928 Merc at 9 inches I was feeling pretty good, and this coil being a 10x12 didn't feel like a big coil to me, now note this site doesn't have allot of pull tabs or bottle caps, over all a pretty clean site with the exception of much Iron junk in the ground. I have not taken it to a park yet to test in really trashy conditions. Pin pointing again was right on the money and very easy to pin point. Better than the Coin Search Coil. I am keeping this coil. My 12 year old Sov will not be put on the shelf this year. It has given it new life and a second chance for another great season of Detecting. Thank You for your time to read this article and Have a Great Day!

D WES Notice how the coil,doesn't mesure as advertised,about really 9 1/2".wonder how that 12x91/2 coil would do if it were a concentric?

Your right about the size, I went and measured it. 91/2 x12. I would like to try one like this as a Concentric Coil.
I have given a lot of thought about buying a new E-Trac and A New Spectra V3.
Both Awesome detectors. But the price is out of my range for now. So I have deiced to purchase a good used Sov GT.
The Sovereigns have blessed me with many great finds and I,m very comfortable with them. As long as I can go out
and have fun and enjoy the day with my fellow hunters and have something to show at the end of the day to talk about.
I will be OK with the Sov's. Not to say I wouldn't really enjoy a new E-Trac, but my needs and enjoyment are there.
It may be a different finance tune later on, SOV's are great machines and will go deep.
Run with the Big Dogs, You Bet.

Glad to hear this. Ive got one on my Etrac and its a great coil. The center line of detection is very tight, the depth is awesome.

Did they increase the length of the cable so you can hipmount it? That was an issue on the earlier ones.

Theres a few coils that dont measure exactly like listed. some others are the 8" tornado coil is actually 7.25", the etrac pro coil advertised as an 11" coil is actually 10.5", the sunray 5" coils are actually 5.5". its not uncommon.

putting the lower rod mounting tabs in the center of the coil helps the weight feel of this coil. I wish they all were like this no matter of the size of the coil.

HH
Neil

I agree with you Neil, its a great Coil and Deep, I am not sure about the length of cable, but I sure had to wrap it allot so I figure it could be Hip mounted.
The offset of measurement of this great Coil bothers me none what so ever, I like it just as is with no complaints. I would really like to mount it on
a E-Trac like yours, I cant even imagine the results your getting with this Coil. Happy Hunting and thanks for the update on the Coil sizes.

the half reale (my oldest coin to date) was found when I just had received the 10X12 and I had it on my Explorer SE.
the rings are from a pounded beach that is small, the 10X12 on my etrac. Ive since sold the Explorer, not because it wasnt a good machine, but I like the Etrac better.

Neil

Neil you have some Awesome finds there. I never imagined that the Half Reale was so small, that is a nice Coin.
The rings are not to shabby either. Looks like your SEF is a Top performer. I will be off in about 45 min. I will be swing my SEF
at a very promising site. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I just got a 12 x 15 SEF coil in on trade and didn't try it out on a Sov. before I sold it.... duh...what was I thinking.... I have a 12 x 15 for an Explorer that I will try though...
Best to all Richard