Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fed & State Park rules on Detecting

Boober61

Hey Gang,

I hear a lot of do's and don't on detecting on Fed and State property. :nono: Scary stuff like you can be sited for detecting and that it is a Federal offence. I also read that States parks are the same. I spoke with a couple of avid MD hunters who say most are ok with you doing so if you explain that you will be kind to nature and environment. I always pack out anything I detect trash and what not. I figure this is only right. I

Hello Boober61,

I always call and talk to the site manager/ranger before trying a state park. Here in Illinois it has never been a problem, just follow the rules. The site managers usually allow coin shooting only - NO relic hunting, no large holes, no shovels, replace your plugs. If you find a coin, regardless of age or value, it's yours to keep. ANYTHING, other than a coin, you find is considered a relic and shall be left in the hole and covered up. As far as I can tell these rules are not published anywhere but left up to the discretion of the manager/ranger. Never MD'd in a federal/national park but imagine it's a bit more restricted. Keep us posted on your finds and good luck!

HH, twalton

Tracker IV
Pioneer 202

The Corps of Engineers has a general policy regarding detecting on their property. Each state varies on the regulations regarding detecting. For example, Michigan's Department of Natural Resources, has published policies. Some parks you can detect in and in some, only in certain areas. Some not at all. Some National Forest allow it, but it too varies. My suggestion would be to talk to the local ranger at each location and speak to them. I am planning a trip to Michigan later this summer to visit family, So had have been checking their regulations and contacting some of the detecting clubs in the area. You may want to do a web seach for clubs in the area where you want to hunt. They may already have the information you need and you may be able to hook up with someone who knows the area. Both can be very valuable. The members of the Great Lakes Metal Detecting Club have been very helpful to me. Good luck and HH.

dobbie,

I am out in Monterey Ca. Great beaches our here Went to Carmel Beach you can see World Famous SPYGLASS GOLF COURSE FROM THERE. The AT& T Golf Tourney runs here every year the whole community is a huge tourist stop and Carmel beach is known for it white sand. Took a whole day off and spent 3