Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fbs myths busted

petew

I have seen way too many myths about minelab fbs units.Air test bad,can't hit a fresh burried coin,bla bla bla

I had some time today to play around the house with my safari.I know coins aren't in the air,But I airtested a quarter at 12 inches repeatable.
Then I went out in my yard,took a trench shovel and cut a 10 inch plug,measured from the coin to the dirt,not grass.Stomped the plug back on top.Sens at 18,all metal and relic modes hit the quarter with a I'd of 35 to 37.Very diggable sound,depth meter almost pegged.
I've owned many machines,cant say any of them would hit a true 10 inch coin.The safari did,fresh burried to.
I have a older test garden,and I can hit my 6 inch coin,raise the coil off the ground 3 to 4 inches and still get a good sounding signal, and id.
Anyone who believes that trash about minelab fbs units needs to get another machine.I had my Safari for sale,but no one wanted to give much so I decided to keep it.I'm glad I did,I have a new respect for this Machine.

Petew,

A coin garden will teach you many things, I always use old silver dimes, why, its my benchmark, its usually the smallest coin I find, so a silver quarter is a "shoe-in" I start at 6 inches and go down from there. One at 6, 8, and 10 inches. If and when I can set up my detector to hit the 10 inch coin I ease on down to 11 inches and apply what I've learned from my settings to try to hit the 11 incher. Slower sweep speed or faster sweep speed, wet ground/dry ground, even a sharper arc in front of me can make a difference. I've used a garden for years. :cool:

Oh yeah,that's one thing I forgot to say, when I swung slow on it I got that thunk thunk sound,but the id was still 35,37...when I swung at a brisk speed the id was the same 35,37 but it was that high coin sound.I actually swing my safari,and all fbs machines at a decent speed,and seem not to miss deeper targets.I mean I hit deep targets.

But But But.....Everybody KNOWS.........!

One of my great joys in life is doing things that the narrowminded sheep say cant be done.
And reading about others doing the same. :thumbup:

petew said:
I have seen way too many myths about minelab fbs units.Air test bad,can't hit a fresh burried coin,bla bla bla

I had some time today to play around the house with my safari.I know coins aren't in the air,But I airtested a quarter at 12 inches repeatable.
Then I went out in my yard,took a trench shovel and cut a 10 inch plug,measured from the coin to the dirt,not grass.Stomped the plug back on top.Sens at 18,all metal and relic modes hit the quarter with a I'd of 35 to 37.Very diggable sound,depth meter almost pegged.
I've owned many machines,cant say any of them would hit a true 10 inch coin.The safari did,fresh burried to.
I have a older test garden,and I can hit my 6 inch coin,raise the coil off the ground 3 to 4 inches and still get a good sounding signal, and id.
Anyone who believes that trash about minelab fbs units needs to get another machine.I had my Safari for sale,but no one wanted to give much so I decided to keep it.I'm glad I did,I have a new respect for this Machine.

I hear ya, I've done the same tests and more. But it's just not the same. Burying a target and finding one at the same depths, same angle etc... its just not the same.

I agree with all the above. The only condition I've seen the FBS's have issues with is a freshly plowed field. I still get good depth just not as good as in a good solid ground.

Southwind said:
I agree with all the above. The only condition I've seen the FBS's have issues with is a freshly plowed field. I still get good depth just not as good as in a good solid ground.
Help me out here, Southwind. Am I right in thinking the freshly tilled soil would have less density and therefore less transmissivity than soil at natural repose (like a packed-down playground)?