Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FAIR WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cupajo

On a beautiful summer evening in 1959, I stopped by the house of a fellow who was to become my brother in law in the fall of the next year. My future wife and I were out riding around in the old

n/t

I've never been a "drag or hot rodding nut" and couldn't understand how a person could blow tons of money and risk life and limb to pursue either.

Lots of informal back road races in those days. There was even a local airport that was closed one Sunday for an unsanctioned drag race; the only one I ever attended.

A driver blew his clutch and the unshielded pressure plate was a dark blur as it blasted out over the hay bales I was hiding behind, not far from the starting line!

No one, but a fool got anywhere close to a direct line with the starters, because of the danger!

Most of what I have learned about cars was to enable me to keep the only cars I could afford on the road.

Cupajo

didn't sink anymore money into the car.hobbies can get expensive.what if someone had scratched his new paint.:)

I own a pretty fast Mustang,last month on a routine drive one of tires had a 100% flat,that was my warning !

The Mustang is a sweet ride!

My future bride and I had been given a ride in the car featured above. A bit before the story happened, we stopped by for a visit and were invited for a ride. Knowing his bent for driving too fast, I asked him to go easy on us and he chuckled as he said OK. We were rolling along at 70 MPH when he said , "Watch this!" and he shifted from 4Th into 3RD and bumped the accelerator a bit. In what seemed a micro-second we were traveling at 100 MPH!

We were running out of straight away so he backed down and with a big grin asked me what I thought. The only thing I could come up with was to reply, "One crazy car,One crazy driver!" which seemed to make him happy.

About a year later his wife divorced him and he lost the car. I don't know if he ever found out how fast it would go. I know one thing; when he told us about the blowouts later, I had cold chills run up and down my spine!!!

Cupajo

I had been flitting around in my memory banks and when I suddenly realized that the year was 1961 when he told me the story and late in '60 when I rode in the car. I had to re-construct the time intervals to sort it out. Quit school in '58, had accident '59, graduated high school, met my wife to be, and joined the Air Force June, '60, came home on leave late in the year and got married. Rode in the car a few days before we married.

Time to de-frag the old gray computer!

Cupajo

comes down to luck. I have had friends die doing the exact same things I have done and gotten away with.

Death is coming to all of us and will arrive at its' appointed time, there is no stopping it. Occassionally, I like to go fast and it is always a rush. I'm not reckless about it and I maintain good safety margins but there is always the certain knowledge that should something go unexpectedly wrong them my life is in grave jeopardy, therein lies the rush.

Thanks for the Story,

Eric