Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Factory settings for 800

JAN1

Went to one of my winter beaches yesterday which is infected with masses of scrap iron and large amounts of fishing weights.
As my SE pro died after 10 years I went for Nox 800.
Using basic factory settings to detect at low water as I usually pick up lost fishing tackle where the line is still above the sand even with 2oz weight the nox hardly registered them. Later I was in the rocks where the scrap is, the SE Pro would null out on nearly every piece but the nox would give a good tone on most bits.
This was only about the third outing with my new machine so I would like to know what I am doing wrong and if using the beach program I think is available on this site be of use.

Generally Beach 1 for dry and wet salt sand, Beach 2 for submerged salt water, Park 1 is actually recommended by Minelab for fresh water beaches!!!

At most beaches I am mostly trying to identify by audio between iron and non-iron targets. So if you are running in default settings you will have no threshold tone for Iron nulling and -9 to 0 or so will be discriminated out and you will have no way of identifying iron without stopping over every target and pressing the horseshoe button which enables the iron audio tones and numbers to be heard and displayed. So I just reject -9 -8 and -7, add an audible threshold tone and turn down the iron volume to minimum and then I can fairly easily identify iron, low conductive lead and gold, etc. Some people hunt in 50 tones on the beach some just hunt in 2 tones. I hunt in 5 tones. For a quicker way of doing it, you can leave the Nox setup with default settings and press the horseshoe button and listen for the iron and watch for the negative numbers, without adjusting the iron volume or adding a threshold tone. That works too if you don't mind some loud iron grunts.

good luck

Jeff

Thanks the information.
I have read the handbook a few times but get totally confused,
Just found iron bias which i shall check the settings on my 800.
Also recovery speed which I may increase as a lot of good signals appear next to iron.
I usually take ages to work out a new machine. About six months for my SE Pro

When I hunt saltwater beaches I use mostly beach 2 even in the dry sand works fine and I usually hunt with no discrim that’s my preference even on grass no discrimination I never usually have to go past 6 on recovery speed if you do I have to run a lower sensitivity mine gives crazy if I have it near 25 ..
Mark

First thing you need to determine is WHAT ARE YOU HUNTING FOR? If it gold and coins..... who cares that you dont hit iron. You can of course always use the horseshoe AM and just reduce the volume of iron to 1. I prefer to run a RS of around 4... you can lower that if in the dry sand. The lower the RS the longer the tone so id be careful going to high with that. I like 50 tones because it separates the trash better, if im not in the water.... but in the water 2 tones works well. The hotter the machine the more trash you pick up. For recent drops sometimes a less sensitive machine works best....... so factor settings are very good. You dont need a threshold.....you can get the same affect from running AM with iron volume at 1.... but you get the advantage of seeing the digits you dont in disc. The manual is really written quit well..... you may have to hunt the read certain area again for it to click.

JAN1 said:
Thanks the information.
I have read the handbook a few times but get totally confused,
Just found iron bias which i shall check the settings on my 800.
Also recovery speed which I may increase as a lot of good signals appear next to iron.
I usually take ages to work out a new machine. About six months for my SE Pro
have you done the upgrade 2.0 then you can also use the F2