Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

explorer

bonnie

yee haaaaa i finally got my new explorer today what a nice looking machine
when i do get out i will post my finds.in the mean time happy hunting :wave:

Bonnie, your next post will be I want to beat it against a tree!! Really you need to listen to different coins, and junk, planted different depths in your yard. It makes a lot of different noises, takes some practice to understand what its telling you. Its a great machine.

Take a green, corroded IH cent and a worn, scratched Merc dime and a ruler out with you. After you dig a hole, plant one of these coins in the side of the hole, measure the depth and refill. Now sweep over it from all sides. Do this at different places and different depths. Do it with the cent and the dime. Sometimes, intentionally tilt the coin at an angle when you plant it.

Once you get comfortable with this, now bring a rusty nail with you and put it in the hole next to the coin when you do this practice drill.

Over time, you will be surprised how helpful this becomes in your ability to learn.

That does help,but still the items in the ground wont produce the same as an item dropped years ago the longer the target is in the ground the better if in deep blah blah blah,another words your settings .But by all means dont air test for depth, air test at sens 1 and just get used to the tones.But that could lead to another problem if you dont have these desireable items you may have to buy them or borrow ,have fun.

You're exactly right. Burying a coin in the ground to test is the very same thing as doing an air test, because there's no "halo" around the target caused by years of slow decomposition of the metal reacting with the surrounding soil. Which doesn't mean the test is useless, but it's neither too useful either. Because a coin buried for many years will signal much stronger and at probably twice the depth. And that same "halo" effect is the reason that we can frequently see a classic coin signal suddenly disappear completely once we get the hole dug and re-sweep it. Whenever that happens I get a big rush because I KNOW there's a silver dime or an Indian Head penny in the bottom of that hole.

My recommendation is to take a new machine out and set out a large blanket and put all the jewelry, different coins, and some trash items you can expect to commonly find and separate them out and practice, practice, practice. Sweep the targets, listen to the tones, look at the digital (or Smartfind if you prefer) readings, and pinpoint them. THEN go detecting. Makes the learning curve is a LOT shorter.