Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer XS=A few first for me

kurt-ks

Hello all, my first post on here. I bought a used XS several months ago and love it, thanks to some good tips and tricks from this forum and some pm's to a few members over the last few month's. I have been hunting in a field where a ghost town is here in south central KS and trying some different setting's, This week I have been hunting in IM at -14 with 26 semi and in smart screen with ferrous tones, man the field is alive with signal's. Anyway here are a couple of finds I found, I never in a million years ever thought I would have found either one of these. I need to thank all you guy's(especially james N.D.)for your great post and thanks Bryce for doing a great job here :thumbup: Here they are; a 1883 seated dime(my first) and a 1867 2 cent(kinda crusty but I will never forget it hehe)and a brunswick token. Thanks again and take care--K

n/t

Thanks Elton! cleaned up the two cent alittle and seen it is a 1865 not 67. What a cool find I am so stoked :clapping:

Congrats,you will love the XS,keep up the good work.

Nice finds, especially the seated dime. I also really like the Brunswick & Balke token. Is the other side the Good For 10c M.H.J. you have pictured or is is different? It's been my experience that the tokens I found are usually attributable to locales near where they were found, so you may be able to attribute some of the tokens you find that don't have a city on them ("mavericks") using local city directories. JM Brunswick & Balke are circa 1874-1884. Keep up the good work and HH.

Thanks all for the kudos :thumbup: And thanks for the research TokenDigger, and yes that is the reverse of that token. It's going to be hard to attribute this token to any business's there because it's been a ghost town since the late 1890's. I have done research on the town at the historical society but there's just not much to go by :shrug: The curator at the museum told me there is only two known photo's of the place and there both of the mill and school house.The did list a few saloon's there so maybe it came from one of them? HH and take care

I checked the Brunswick Token reference I have and the M.H.J. is not listed. I also checked the book, Kansas Trade Tokens (2005 by Larry Oiler & Kent Johnson) and it wasn't in there. You're right- it is going to be hard to attribute this piece since the town has been gone for so long. If you can get your hands on a1870s -1890s Kansas Dun or Bradstreet directory (maybe at the historical society or library), you may be able to attribute the initials (possibly the proprietor's initials) to one of the places in the town. Brunswick tokens were used in saloons, pool halls, bowling alleys and cafes so those are some places to check out. The hunt to attribute tokens is part of what makes token collecting fun. I hope you find more nice coins and other goodies in your future hunts.

Nice Job Kurt. :clapping: Great looking seated dime. And it is always fun to turn up trade tokens, mavericks or not. Good luck going forward. You'll like the XS.

Rich