Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer to E-Trac

DWtexas

I've been using an Explorer XS for almost 10 years now and have never regretted going with a Minelab. One of my hunting buddies claims I've drank the Minelab Kool-Aid and there's no hope for me. He's a White's user, so I just reply by thanking him for using only half a detector and leaving the rest for me. Before I get beat up here, let me just say I think the White's machines are good...but then again, I have drank the Minelab Kool-Aid and won't use any other brand of detector if given the choice. This leads me to my question: How hard is the transition from an Explorer to the E-Trac? How much difference is there between the SE and the E-Trac? I ask these questions because I think it might be time to retire my Explorer and move on to the next generation. I'd appreciate any information y'all can offer, including aiming me at an older thread if this subject has already been discussed. I've looked, but didn't find one discussing it, but that's not to say it's not there - I just couldn't find it.

HH,
David

Your not going to see much difference between the XS and the SE. To me the E-trac is easier to use and has incredible target seperation, I think with each new Explorer they got a little faster but the E-trac seems to even be better, even with the 11 inch coil you can work it slow in high trash areas and still pull the good targets out. Most everyone who goes from the Explorer to the E-trac is happy they have, at least people I know and talk to.

I know of two different guys who have been using Minelab explorers since the XS and have had every model, both are now using the E-trac and like it the best, I know both have them have gone to places they have hunted with the Explorers and are still managing to pull out more good targets at these places they thought they had hunted out with their Explorers.

the Etrac is all together different. But I love it also. I used a SE for a year and just went to the Etrac. Just found a $20 gold coin with it today on my 3rd day out with it at a pounded to death field. It was atleast 12 inchs down and came in loud and clear.

DWtexas, you buddy's analogy of kool-aid is some what funny. The fact of the matter is that for years Minelab has set bar for metal detecting technology. All other manufacturers chase Minelab. When you are on top like they have been, you get the kool-aid stuff.

I too was a XS user and switched to the Etrac. The first feature that really helped me out was the combo of the FE/CO numbers and the Smartfind screen all in one. This did speed up the process of information during the hunt. The second was the Pro 11 coil. Very deep seeking as I have personally dug a 3 cent piece at 18 plus inches. XS and many other detectors can not be made to do this plan and simple. The processor speed of the Etrac is amazing. You can set up the Etrac to your same settings on the XS and not miss a beat on the tones and sounds. Having said the above, I will state that you will have a learning curve concerning the new Smartfind screen. It will be totally different then the XS, SE and will frustrate you to no end. Stick with it, give it two to three weeks and things will come together for you.

Thanks for the quick feedback. It looks like I'm ready to make the jump. I asked my missus - expecting some resistance on her part - and she really surprised me. She said, "You've been using that same old machine for 10 years now. That's long enough, you should have the new top of the line." To say the least, I was floored; I should also add that I've been married for 24 years. She hasn't said as much, but I can see her using the same argument for me to buy her a new car. Hmm, E-Trac...new car...yep, that's a fair trade. Thanks again for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

HH,
David

I went from the Explorer II to the E Trac. 1: Better balance, I don't feel the weight and become "arm tired" any longer. 2: MUCH more stable in my ground, I never have all the chatter and noise the EX II had. 3: Great to hunt in a program with discrimination. The Etrac will grab a good signal sitting right on or next to iron right through the null. 4: The real time sensitivity display lets you know exactly the ground conditions. 5: The ease of switching the menus from discrim. to all metal. 6: Larger display of information, a lot of us wear glasses at our age so this is a BIG plus. 7: The pro coil is a great all around coil and although I have coils in sizes from 5 inch on up, this one functions well even in trashy areas. You will miss the tones you know so well with the Explorer but as others have said, give it a bunch of hours and you will adapt to the new machine. Keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with the XS or other Explorers. They are just as good or better in the right hands.