Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer SE Handling Pull Tabs?

treasure-diver

Hi Everyone,

My first post on this forum. Love it by the way! The knowledge and expertise is great.

I have a question for the Explorer II, XS, and or SE users.
I hunt mainly parks and schools (Houston, Tx) There are tons and tons of aluminum tabs, cans, etc. How does the Explorers handle these? Can you really distinguish what is junk and what is Gold?? I am wanting to get the SE soooo bad, but for $1200 bucks I don't want to dig junk.

Currently have a Wally world B.H. 505. I know this is a "toy" compared to the SE, but I have found some cool stuff. I also own a Fisher Impulse U/W detector. Great machine but no discrimination on it.

Any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

With gold having so many alloys added to it and pull tabs made of so many different metals....... the answer is sorry ..afriad your still gonna have to dig tabs to get gold. If someone ever makes one that does it will put all the others out of business.

Coming from a former whites and garret user the Explorers are really allot better and deeper machine than any other Ive used. As with all detectors, you have to put in your time. I have had mine a year and I just learned the "sounds" to hunt wide open/no discrimination.

HH, Stoops

With the new Se, it is possible to block out pulltabs but, any gold
rings that have the same ferrous and conductivity as a pulltab
will be blocked by the Se discrimination. On the Se digital mode, I have found that most pulltabs show 06-ferrous to 10-conductivity.
Nickels have the same reading by the way! As long as any gold ring
dose not fall in that range, it will be detected. The other night
I found a mens 10k H.S. ring. Digital read 07-fe to 27-cond. That is
the same reading as a Lincoln penny! The point is is that lots of
gold rings, and other gold jewlery, come in different kt and sizes.
Not all will read like pulltabs. The SE is a super machine though
and it's worth it. I hope this helps you a little!

I suggest that you dig those pesky pull tabs for two good reasons. First, you will find more gold rings, chains and bracelets and second, once you get rid of those pull tabs you won't have to worry about digging them up again and you might just find some old coins that may have been hidden by the pull tab............:) I have an Explorer XS and as you can see from my picture I dig almost all of my pull tab signals and once in a while you will get lucky and find the gold. The ring on the top left is an engagement and wedding set 14kt with eleven diamonds and it appraised at over $1,100 which more than paid for my XS.........:) If a picture could say a thousand words, I only have four words for you. "Dig those pull tabs" and the gold rings will come. Best of luck and HH.

Eddie

Yeah, what they said: too many types of pull tabs and too many types of rings. The quality of the tone may give you a hint as to what it is (a ring should sound "better," but even a ring can be broken or bent) - and bent pull tabs will sound funny too, but bottom line is that you're probably gonna need to dig 'em all to find gold and other interesting items as well. Getting the junk out of the way is a good idea in older parks to get to the real deepies.

I'm surprised that they haven't been able to make a detector that can tell aluminum from gold as I would have thought that these two metals have quite different properties. Hopefully some of the theory guys will jump in here and explain why it hasn't been done yet.

Sorry, but if you want Gold Rings and such, you still have to dig all Pulltabs. There just isn't any way to get around it. The only Gold Ring you will find is the bigger Class Rings. They will register like a Indian Head Penny or an older Wheat Penny. I have found 3 of them so far so they are hard to come by, since I have been detecting full bore since fall 2001 with the Explorer XS. Good Luck and HH to you.

Hi Erik. You just gave me an idea! Wouldn't it be possible to just go by the ferrous content of the item? I know that there is possible Iron objects that will have an effect on the readings but I am talking about cleaner area's. Maybe someone will read this and have some info for us. But for the most part of it, dig all the pulltabs and see what kind of finds you unearth. That is what detecting is all about.