Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur Video

Makes me want to get some scuba gear also......
Now those guys were swinging that coil back and forth pretty fast. Or am I swinging it too slow I wonder.....

Thanks for the advice. When you swing over a target, does the Excal "reset" itself after each tone? Or, do you have to hit another target for the tone to change?

It holds the tone of the last target until it sees something else. This also includes noise and other falses.
You will see it when you get out there.

Swing it slow. A foot , two at max, per second unless you are looking for very shallow stuff. Go slower for weak deep stuff.
Set your sensitivity so that the threshold does not drop out during the sweep unless there is iron junk in the sand. You can check for this by switching to all metal. If there is no object, but the threshold drops out in disc mode then you need to lower sensitivity, swing slower, or both.

Threshold drops out when disc is set to minimum when the detector thinks that it sees iron. This is a kind of false, and is normal. The returning threshold will be a low pitched buzz.

HH

Scatter some different objects around on the floor and detect them.
The hidden nails in the floor and interference from the TV will add realism.

HH

Art, should the tone stay the same for targets on the initial pass, and the "return" pass in the opposite direction? I have heard most users do not use pinpoint mode, but pinpoint in disc; is this recommended? I'd rather learn the "right" way now, than have to un-learn it later.
Thanks, Rick

Not really a right way. You do what you need too......
If you are using a sand scoop on the beach, then there is no need to do the tightest pinpoint possible in all metal. I can pinpoint my Sovs nearly as well in disc mode as in all metal, and I hunt dirt....can't afford to miss and dig big holes.

You don't always get the same target audio or threshold on sweeps running opposite directions.
Multiple targets cause this. Also a Sov or Xcal does not always get a good enough look at an object on the first pass to "lock into" a consistent tone. You will often notice a jump to a higher tone on the return pass as the detector gets a second chance to have a look.
Weak targets "tease up" in tone with repeated passes as you wiggle the coil over the target.
An object can be odd shaped so that it appears more conductive one way than the other.

HH

Here in Connecticut it's pretty cold out in the surf, but the good thing is I only live about 30 minutes from the shore. Heavy-weight waders, goretex outerwear, thinsulate shoulder-length gauntlet gloves and three layers of clothing allow me to stay in the surf for 4 to 5 hours and even sweat a little during a heavy dig.

As the ground is frozen solid, beach hunting is the only option. I'm glad I live close and I'm sure lookin' forward to trying out the Excal!! I hope to be able to post some finds this weekend, good Lord willin'.